·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
francois said:
BIG mountain stage:

Discuss
We're just hitting the base of the climb right now. The weather is gawdawful! The final descent is going to be sketchy. I hope everyone gets down safe, specially Il Falco.

This is it. Only Cuesta is beside Basso. Julich is no good! I was hoping to see him now. There will be a lot of attacks against Basso.

fc

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
We got a lot of picture breakup because of the atmospherics.

Basically we got almost zero video for the last important 10 minutes.

Check here:
http://www.velonews.com/tick/html/stage38.html

fc

Stage 13 - Saturday, May 20: Alessandria - La Thuile, 218 km

Results

Provisional
1 Leonardo Piepoli (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 5.21.12
2 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 0.44
3 José E. Gutierrez Cataluna (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 1.19
4 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir
5 Michele Scarponi (Ita) Liberty Seguros-Würth Team 2.08
6 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas
7 John Gadret (Fra) AG2R Prevoyance 2.12
8 Julio Alberto Perez Cuapio (Mex) Ceramica Panaria-Navigare 2.17
9 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital 2.36
10 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
11 Giampaolo Caruso (Ita) Liberty Seguros-Würth Team
12 Wladimir Belli (Ita) Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni

General classification after stage 13

1 Ivan Basso (Ita) Team CSC 49.53.36
2 José E. Gutierrez Cataluna (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 3.27
3 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 5.30
4 Wladimir Belli (Ita) Selle Italia-Serramenti Diquigiovanni 7.35
5 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saunier Duval-Prodir 8.00
6 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas 8.14
7 Tom Danielson (USA) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 8.35
8 Damiano Cunego (Ita) Lampre-Fondital 8.58
9 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) Liquigas 10.36
10 Victor Hugo Pena Grisales (Col) Phonak Hearing Systems 11.12
</pre>

G

·
From VN:
Defending Giro champion Paolo Savoldelli has been dropped by an elite cadre of 18 riders at the front of the race. Danielson is dropping back to help.
:(

Basso is just too strong. The climbers better hope he becomes sick or something. This is starting to look like a massacre.

·
Banned
923 Posts
Basso just rides those 'real' climbers off his wheel again - he looks so much like Indurain at his best and his ease and fluidity are great to watch. Savoldelli's descent to take back just over a minute from his 3 minute deficit must have been something in those conditions - though Basso was descending like a granny and, at the end of the day, has pulled out a huge lead. Gutierrez was impressive too and has given himself every chance to stay on the podium to Milan.

And the last week's profile must surely favour Simoni to take the other podium spot from Savoldelli - I wouldn't be at all surprised if Savoldelli doesn't pull out in order to concentrate on going for the TdF win, at which he must have a far better shot...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I wonder why Disco..

sacraficed Danielson and made him stay with Salvadeli? I wonder if he is stronger the Salvadeli now? It doesn't really matter now since he's like 8+ minutes? back, but I wonder if he maybe could be in the top 5 if he raced for himself.

I don't think Salvo is a major contender for the Tour, although I could be wrong.

·
Banned
923 Posts
No sacrifice - Danielson was off the back in trouble again - he hasn't been seen at the front of the peloton for the entire race except briefly on a mild conk in the first week - as soon as the proper climbs have kicked in, Danielson has been out the back.

G

·
I didn't see or listen to the race today, but the quote I posted sure made it sound like TD dropped back purposely. But, as you point out, he's not doing any work for the team b/4 the climbs. At least he's doing proper dom work pacing Paolo up the climbs. I think it going to take another year or two of experience and mileage for TD to become a true GT podium contender.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Mosovich said:
sacraficed Danielson and made him stay with Salvadeli? I wonder if he is stronger the Salvadeli now? It doesn't really matter now since he's like 8+ minutes? back, but I wonder if he maybe could be in the top 5 if he raced for himself.

I don't think Salvo is a major contender for the Tour, although I could be wrong.
Even if he went by himself, Savoldelli is likely to have caught him on descent. In the end Savoldelli would be lower than if they stayed together and worked as a team, and Danielson wouldn't get a significant amount of time anyways. There's very little to gain for a team by moving someone from 10th to 9th, while sacrificing podium guy in the process.

·
Banned
923 Posts
He's 28 now which leaves him a couple of years to win a GT - and he'll be up against riders like Valverde and Cunego and a Basso at the peak of his power - and I fear Popovych will go the same way - there's only so long you can be 'bringing a rider on' before you have to actually let him race and prove himself. His real problem is he has lousy peloton skills - he's never in the right place and he can't handle the pace. A self paced hill climb is one thing, a climbing as part of a 200+ km stage is quite another.

Anyway, the day belonged yet again to Basso - he's never really been a favourite of mine but he's really impressed in this race and he looks like he has plenty more to come.

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
I like Basso and he really showed the climbers who owned that mtn today. I still say that one or two of the climbers will find a pair of legs over the next week and ride off to a glorious Giro stage victory.

·
Banned
608 Posts
Looks like "Leaky Gas" should switch leaders to Pellizotti. Di Luca is just not going to get it done this Giro.

The only question remaining seems to be whether Gutierrez or Simoni will take second.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Basso definitely reminds me of Indurain in the 90's

The supple upright pedaling style and the ease in which he just powers up the clims so differnent than a Hinault or a Lance - with their fighting grimaces and their trance like stares. Basso is the smooth assasin IMHO. He'll be up 10 minutes by the end of this race. I wonder if we;ll see the other contender start to worry about 2 and 3 rather than try and counter Basso at all

Definitely the new kid on the block...

Nik.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I wonder when Basso will stop attacking and ride conservatively? I mean, he's got big time gaps already, and presubmably he'll want to expend as little energy as possible in view of the Tour coming up. At some point I'd expect him to mark attacks and limit damages, rather than attacking himself. But it sure is damned impressive to see him blow the "pure climbers" all over the mountainside again!

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Americano_a_Roma said:
I wonder when Basso will stop attacking and ride conservatively? I mean, he's got big time gaps already, and presubmably he'll want to expend as little energy as possible in view of the Tour coming up. At some point I'd expect him to mark attacks and limit damages, rather than attacking himself. But it sure is damned impressive to see him blow the "pure climbers" all over the mountainside again!
I hope he keeps at it and wins by 12 minutes. This could be the start of a memorable season for Basso.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Cunego conceded defeat today, saying he will try to grab the podium if he can. Quite a story how Cunego fizzled on the climbs in this Giro, given that he had six wins in 2006 (including podium at L-B-L) and his confidence was back to the level of his 2004 days of domination. I looked at the GC and I think when this Giro is done The Kid will finish fourth; possibly knock Gibo off for the third spot on the podium if he finds his climbing legs and takes a stage.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.