Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the map for tomorrow stage and it includes a VERY steep and narrow final climb that is perfect for Di luca. I have raced up that back side of that final climb before, up to Paderno. The back side is super hard, like 22% but the climb up the church is like 17%. The rest of the course is relentless, hardly any flat parts threw the Mugello.

Should be a crazy day

·
your text here
13,195 Posts
rabobank and menchov will need to keep a high pace up that pitch to prevent diluca from sprinting the last 2k.

levi better hope popo, brak, and LA are up to the task.

who will lead the charge? im thinking astana has to. but will they wait until 16 or 17 to try and isolate menchov and tear him apart

·
Good Person
1,695 Posts
I agree. Astana has a tough job tommorow: keep DiLuca and Menchov from going up the road. This type of stage suits them more than Levi. Luckily, since his un-retirement, Lance has shown that he is pretty good at dragging the peloton along at a fast pace. Man, I miss Chris Horner right now.....
Levi will go up the road tomorrow if he has to, and he is going to have to sometime between now and Rome. I think he would prefer to save his energy tomorrow and attack on Blockhaus, which is the only place on the map that I feel like he could realistically drop Menchov and DiLuca. I'm sure those guys know that, so they will hit hard tommorow.
Again, tough day for Astana tommorow.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I wish I had TV coverage

In 2003 I visited Bologna and walked from City Center up to San Luca, thinking what a great ride it would be for a bike race. I didn't realize it was quite that steep although some sections were hard work on a hot day.

The portico with its 666 arches is pretty impressive stuff and the Sanctuary is beautiful. Ha ha, they always say that Bologna is where you go in Italy to eat and the food and wine are wonderful.

Should be a very tough stage. Not sure how much time DD can take back on this sort of stage but it will be a nervous one for sure.

Here are some pics I took although the one of the Sanctuary is a scan of a post card.

bigpinkt said:
I was looking at the map for tomorrow stage and it includes a VERY steep and narrow final climb that is perfect for Di luca. I have raced up that back side of that final climb before, up to Paderno. The back side is super hard, like 22% but the climb up the church is like 17%. The rest of the course is relentless, hardly any flat parts threw the Mugello.

Should be a crazy day

·
vexatious enigma
4,696 Posts
bigpinkt said:
The back side is super hard, like 22% but the climb up the church is like 17%. The rest of the course is relentless, hardly any flat parts threw the Mugello.

Should be a crazy day
All I can say to this is ouch. Sounds like a long day in the pain cave.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.