Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cunego and Salvodelli are no good. Simoni and Piepoli attack. Basso comes up with Guitierez and there are four left. Guitierez is gone. Now Simoni is gone.

It ain't over til it's over but The race is over!

fc

· Genitive Declensioner
12,158 Posts
francois said:
Cunego and Salvodelli are no good. Simoni and Piepoli attack. Basso comes up with Guitierez and there are four left. Guitierez is gone. Now Simoni is gone.

fc

Basso IS the man so far......hope he can pull the double to punk LA......

· Registered
11,561 Posts
francois said:

fc
Lots of big losers not the least of which was Danielson. I thought I saw him being dropped almost as soon as they hit the climb and the pressure went on. Big props to cyclocrosser John Gadret, that's two respectable rides in the mountains now.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
Rouleur said:
Does Basso's pedal style seem a bit similar to LA?
No. Armstrong to me always looked a bit frantic when climbing full-bore, pedalling at that higher-than-what's comfortable cadence. Basso just looks very smooth compared to the others which is not surprising since the others are clearly at their max when he is not.

· Registered
5,644 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
Lots of big losers not the least of which was Danielson. I thought I saw him being dropped almost as soon as they hit the climb and the pressure went on. Big props to cyclocrosser John Gadret, that's two respectable rides in the mountains now.
yeah, i nearly spit coffee on my screen when saw that result, WTF, a crosser finishing high up in the mountains? I mean, great ride, but man where did that come from?

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
This guy is unstoppable.

Did someone with better Italian catch the sign on the roadside that read, I'm pretty sure, "On the eighth day, God created Basso."

Good on Ullrich for finishing up pretty close to the lead group.

Is Danielson reaching his limit? Has he worked too hard for Savoldelli, wasted too much energy running through the bunch, or what?

I'd honestly not heard much at all about Phonak's Guiterrez, but he seems to be holding firm. Looks pretty clear that it's gonna be between him and Simoni for second spot, unless the bigger rider cracks tomorrow and Savoldelli's experience carries him through.

G

·
Is Basso using a compact crank - with a bit higher gear it would be easier to sit on and just spin. LA didn't use a compact, and he even admitted himself that he didn't have a very fluid form on the bike - nontheless, LA's style worked.

· Banned
608 Posts
Argentius said:
Is Danielson reaching his limit? Has he worked too hard for Savoldelli, wasted too much energy running through the bunch, or what?
When did he ever work hard for Savoldelli? Despite all the hype as a super climber, as soon as the real climbers push the pace, Tommy D. falls off the back. Maybe if he dogged a stage or two, allowing himself to recover, he could win a stage; but it is looking more and more dubious that he has what it takes to ride at the highest level every day for three weeks.

· Registered
121 Posts
Wow, Basso is really putting the hurt on. Good to read that Jan was keeping himself in the upper 1/3 of the field as well, it will be interesting come July.

Tommy D doesn't seem to be able to hang on even a little bit on the climbs. Given the numbers that are thrown around about him, one would think he could hang on even a little bit. I'm hoping that Savoldelli can hang on for the podium, but he is going to have to dig deep.

Dave

· Registered
1,611 Posts
What a day. Observations:

1. Di Luca -- All that altitude training in Mexico early this year, and him laying off of the Classics, hasn't worked. Pelizotti is the de facto leader of Liquigas now.

2. Cunego -- mononucleosis part deux?? What's the reason this year? The Kid had a great start to his season, won some six races or so, podiums at L-B-L, and he needs not one but TWO teammates to pace him back to the line today? (Classy by the way for the Lampre rider to pat a dejected and oxygen-depraved Cunego on the back as they crossed the line together. That was cool.)

3. Simoni -- FORZA GIBO! Great to see the 34-year old being the first to attack Basso (for whatever futile purpose it served). Tomorrow's Queen Stage is tailor-made for him so he should be in third on the GC by the end of the day tomorrow?

4. Savoldelli -- nice job recovering and limiting his losses. I really don't think he is any weaker than last year. The climbing is more brutal this year and Basso is a significantly stronger rider than last year.

5. Basso. Can Der Jan really beat Basso at the TdF?? Ivan the Terrible should be his nickname. This guy leaves the road scorched behind him.

· wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
fornaca68 said:
5. Basso. Can Der Jan really beat Basso at the TdF?? Ivan the Terrible should be his nickname. This guy leaves the road scorched behind him.
Well, that would be original...except it has been his nickname since he was about two....
I think Cunego became a Classics rider today.
Di Luca should have stayed a Classics rider.
I think Savoldelli can still hold 3rd; I'm not sure Gutierrez will last.
Simoni sure deserves at least one stage win...
...as long as Danielson doesn't all-of-a-sudden figure out how to make up those 2+ minutes on Ullrich and storm back to win every remaining stage, the Giro by 11 minutes and then the Vuelta by 25. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

· Registered
1,611 Posts
I can't see why he can't. Basso is a stud. The question is can Jan Ullrich limit his losses on the climbs in the TdF (granted, there is less climbing in this year's TdF than recent editions, which helps Ullrich). The other question is can Jan in July put enough time on Basso in the two ITTs, because Basso only lost, what was it, about 45 seconds to Ullrich on a very long, pancake flat ITT?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.