Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tour de France 2017: Stage 17 Preview | Cyclingnews.com

Jumping ahead a trifle, but this IS IT. Welcome to the Alps. The GC will be decided here. Now is a good time to start talking about stage 20. What impact will the lump have? 25K. If someone can take the yellow jersey they need to do it with how many seconds? Uran, 20-30? Aru, 30-40? Bardet? Uran is going off at 13:1 today. But it seems he's a decent bet if you like living dangerously. Because the battle starting now is so much about stage 20.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
I don't see that hump as any challenge for Froome. any challenger will have to make their move on the mountains.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'm liking these next two stage profiles, now if we could only get some GC contenders to ride with panache.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
I'm liking these next two stage profiles, now if we could only get some GC contenders to ride with panache.
I think they will be forced to today if they really want to beat Froome. This is basically their last chance to move up the GC ladder before the final TT.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What a sad loss of Kittel. I think Matthews had a really good chance to eventually take the Green on his own but it would have been much more entertaining to have watched him earn it.

And how good is Sunweb? They look to have a lock on Polka Dot and Green. They got the Pink from the Giro. I developed a soft spot for them after the training camp crash early last year and following the recovery of Chad Haga.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
What a sad loss of Kittel. I think Matthews had a really good chance to eventually take the Green on his own but it would have been much more entertaining to have watched him earn it.

And how good is Sunweb? They look to have a lock on Polka Dot and Green. They got the Pink from the Giro. I developed a soft spot for them after the training camp crash early last year and following the recovery of Chad Haga.
They definitely have been doing their thing and Barguile picked the perfect time to finally make good on some of that potential everyone keeps talking about. While I'm still not convinced Matthews can consistently beat the likes of Kittell, Greipel, & Co. in a bunch sprint, he's my favorite kind of racer (a puncheur) and I am happy to see him come from behind to claim green. Dumoulin is the real deal on that squad though. Total beast. Now, if Uran or Bardet can just beat Froome, this might be one my favorite TdFs.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
They definitely have been doing their thing and Barguile picked the perfect time to finally make good on some of that potential everyone keeps talking about. While I'm still not convinced Matthews can consistently beat the likes of Kittell, Greipel, & Co. in a bunch sprint, he's my favorite kind of racer (a puncheur) and I am happy to see him come from behind to claim green. Dumoulin is the real deal on that squad though. Total beast. Now, if Uran or Bardet can just beat Froome, this might be one my favorite TdFs.
I'd love to see that also but after today's stage I just don't think Froome can be isolated for long enough to make a time difference. Nieve popped a little earlier than usual, maybe getting tired or just an off day, but between Landa and Kwiatowski Froome is definitely in the catbird seat.
Only one more of Froome's many mechanicals can make a difference I think. :)

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
As sad as it makes me to say it @upstateSC, you are probably right. I am still holding out hope for tomorrow and the TT on Saturday however. Uran has the stuff to steal some time on either of those stages on his best day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts