Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Astana is going to have a very difficult time in the Giro, Kloden lost 10 secs in 1.8 km's, I have a feeling the Italians are going to make it this difficult every time the road goes upwards for the Astana boys, I was suprised at Simoni losing 20 secs, you would have thought that he would have been a bit more attentive towards the front when the road went upwards.

· Registered
11,561 Posts
enemyte said:
Astana is going to have a very difficult time in the Giro, Kloden lost 10 secs in 1.8 km's, I have a feeling the Italians are going to make it this difficult every time the road goes upwards for the Astana boys, I was suprised at Simoni losing 20 secs, you would have thought that he would have been a bit more attentive towards the front when the road went upwards.
I thought I saw a couple of Astanas coming in ~30 seconds down. Not sure if it was Leipheimer and Contador though. Still no complet results on cyclingnews.

Wasn't there an FdJ rider in the front group too, or maybe just getting tailed off as they sprinted?

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
I thought I saw a couple of Astanas coming in ~30 seconds down. Not sure if it was Leipheimer and Contador though. Still no complet results on cyclingnews.

Wasn't there an FdJ rider in the front group too, or maybe just getting tailed off as they sprinted?
Yeah, it was Jussi Veikkenen the former Finland Road Race champion, showing great form in the Tour of Romandie.

All results are up on Gazzetta Dello Sport:
http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2008/classifiche/it/classifica.shtml?t=01

Levi came in 30th @0:20secs, now 40secs behind in the general.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Einstruzende said:
It's just the first road stage. The profile was really meant for Di Luca, Rebellin, Bettini. Their sort of stage.

Too bad about Zabriskie.
Yeah, point taken, but there are around 5-10 stages like this, there are only 4 (at most) sprint stages for McEwen, etc. Astana HAVE to be more attentive otherwise they will lose 2-3minutes on the overall if they perform like they have today. Remember last year when Simoni, Salvodelli, Mazzoleni took a minute off Di Luca when they ascended a 5k (2nd cat) mountain halfway through the stage and held on to the finish, and that was the stage before Zoncolan where Simoni and Mazzoleni put huge pressure on Liquigas again as well.
At least Zabriskie will be fresh for the Tour :arf:

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Contador only lost 10 seconds. I though he would lose more. Not bad for a guy who last weekend was on the beach vacationing and had no clue a grand tour would be his next race. If he builds form the next 10 days he could be very dangerous on GC the following 10 days.

· Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fornaca68 said:
Contador only lost 10 seconds. I though he would lose more. Not bad for a guy who last weekend was on the beach vacationing and had no clue a grand tour would be his next race. If he builds form the next 10 days he could be very dangerous on GC the following 10 days.
Contador does not have that long, stage 5 has the same sort of finish as well as stage 6, stage 7 however is a mountain top finish and will surely sort out the boys from the men. Contador did really well coming off a vacation to be in Italy. It's just I thought Kloden was the top man on the team and I don't think Levi has any form whatsoever to even make a concerted effort on the top 10. I fear that it will be on Alberto shoulders to give this team some impetus towards the mountains.

· Not Banned
49,249 Posts
Dave Zabriskie

has clearly taken the Tyler Hamilton "Tippy McFaulsalot" mantle

brokenL1 Vert

dayum

get well dave

start racing cx in the off season

· Registered
1,611 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Klöden only finished 8 seconds down, which isn't too bad. He won't want to make a habit of that though. Not when two of the people finishing ahead are GC contenders.
8 seconds for a rider like Kloden on a power climb like today is pretty good. Today's finish had a hilled-classics profile to it, like an Amstel Gold or a mini Fleche Wallone. Kloeden isn't going to win stages in the Giro except, if anything, the last ITT.

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Einstruzende said:
Klöden only finished 8 seconds down, which isn't too bad. He won't want to make a habit of that though. Not when two of the people finishing ahead are GC contenders.
True.

I saw Alberto trying to keep up but somehow couldn't or so towards the end I guess.

He looked to not be so comfortable for sure at least.

I didn't manage to see Kloden through the EuroSports coverage though.

By the way, I added you on the PS3 network, check your message on your system. :)

· Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
fornaca68 said:
8 seconds for a rider like Kloden on a power climb like today is pretty good. Today's finish had a hilled-classics profile to it, like an Amstel Gold or a mini Fleche Wallone. Kloeden isn't going to win stages in the Giro except, if anything, the last ITT.
While Kloden might not be the most explosive rider around for sure, I think he could also win the other TTs in the race. Why not?

If Alberto can't climb as well due to lack of power etc for now, then Kloden would certainly be able to drop the hammer.

· Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
CoLiKe20 said:
too bad about Bettini. I thought he would be one of the top riders for sure. I guess everyone can have bad days.
I do like Bettini, but it seems his wheels have fallen off since his Lombardia win in 2006. His only win of note since then was Worlds last year. Makes you wonder.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Einstruzende said:
I do like Bettini, but it seems his wheels have fallen off since his Lombardia win in 2006. His only win of note since then was Worlds last year. Makes you wonder.
the funny thing is Versus kept showing the "I am Specialized" spot with Bettini - then he promptly got dropped

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.