Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It comes as no shock the Cancellara won the ITT. Some may argue that the weather and shifting winds had something to do with the win. That's racing. And it's also Spartacus, so I wouldn't take anything away from the win.
The big story of the day were the rides put in by Contador, Schleck, and to a lesser extent SSanchez. Prediction ad Contador blowing the doors off of Schleck, but that wasn't the case. In fact, the 30 or seconds didn;t come close to the time he made up on Schleck when Andy dropped his chain. That may be the case, but that doesn't mean Contador couldn't have made up that time. Strategy and tactics change from stage to stage, based on placement of the riders. No doubt Astana, and Saxo Bank, would ave ridden differently. There really is no reason to play "what if" other than to elicit arguments, so let's put that behind us.

The third Sunday means the end of Le Tour. What more is there to talk about? Oh yeah. We have some photo ops, rolling champagne toasts, and some serious sprints over the cobbled streets of the Champs-Elysees. This will be Lance Armstrong's and Christophe Moreau's final race parade into Paris. Expect to see some gutter bunnies torching a few laps before it really gets serious. Rocket Robbie will be looking to win one last time, Petacchi wants to lay the sledgehammer down on his jeresy hunt, Cavendish wants another sword decal on his top tube, and Thor...well, he has been talking about just trying to finish.

Unfortunately, I don't think we will see a sprint as exciting as last year. Garmin thought they owned the city of lights, and Columbia ripped it from their hands before taking the correct line. Incredible!
(embedding disabled. I think teoteoteo had a vid of this from his hotel room)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCUD0CPKJSM&feature=relatedIf i recall, that was Hincapie making the move off of Garmin and powering through.

I will say Cavendish wins. I want Thor, but Cavs takes this one. Again. I just hope he kees his gestures away from the tour one last day.

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Can't believe we're already there--very exciting Tour.

Thanks for posting these up everyday, too.

Cav for the win--although I'd love to see Thor...

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Petacchi and Lampre will be turning themselves inside-out for the stage win. It'll be him or Cavendish. [Yeah, go out on a limb....]

·
waterproof*
41,611 Posts
that elevation profile looks odd... how can the slope be steeper going up the Champs than going down?

/ can't wait for the break attempts doing 60kph on that skinny little concrete gutter.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Petacchi

will take Green finishing top 5
Cav will win
Thor will finish further back
he really hasn't been much of a factor in the bunch sprints
Cav may come in 2nd for points but Petacchi will defend the jersey

Thor may try for early points

·
Where's that GPS?
3,117 Posts
Cav wins...oh joy!

atpjunkie said:
Cav will win

Yup, another Cav win to end Le Tour. And Alberto in Yellow and Andy in white in second place - sound familiar?

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
I want Julian Dean or Petacchi. I want Andy in a solo breakaway. I want Alberto in a solo breakaway.

But it's gonna be Cavendish.

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Headed out my door in my Paris hotel to see if I can still find a spot to watch as we speak. I have been waiting 25 years to say that. Will take lots of pics. Cheers.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,952 Posts
Neat. So Alberto's team car evidently lied to him during the ITT, saying he was behind Schleck the whole ride....that whole reverse P-sychology trick. Well, it did work. :)

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,952 Posts
Party poopers at the UCI. RadioShack pulls out LiveStrong jerseys this morning. And is promtly told that they MUST wear their original kit or by thrown out.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Conti Attacks !

Andy on his wheel !

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
spookyload said:
Headed out my door in my Paris hotel to see if I can still find a spot to watch as we speak. I have been waiting 25 years to say that. Will take lots of pics. Cheers.

Cool! I'm sure it'll be worth the wait :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Well another one is in the books. It went fast, no?

Three weeks of waking up at zero-dark-thirty with coffee and the familiar voices Phil and Paul telling us to pour more coffee, are done.

And so I sign out too, wishing you all a great year ahead with happy miles.

Welty thanks again for posting the daily threads. Great job.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yes... I'll miss Phil and Paul... another July done. Can't wait until next year... AS seemed to really be eyeing that trophy AC was holding!

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
and from yesterday

16 hrs ago

Petacchi
Cav will win