Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
bas said:
Levi will pull out the stage win for the ITT?

How's the weather looking?
Leipheimer doesn't look like he's anywhere near the kind of form he would need to win the TT. This isn't even the normal "mediocre" Leipheimer, let alone the exceptional one of last year's tour, he looks relatively bad.

Unless he's got the most super aero position in the bunch I can't see him putting out the power to win it.

I'd say surprise winner could be Pinotti, equal odds that Contador or Menchov take it.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dwayne Barry said:
Leipheimer doesn't look like he's anywhere near the kind of form he would need to win the TT. This isn't even the normal "mediocre" Leipheimer, let alone the exceptional one of last year's tour, he looks relatively bad.

Unless he's got the most super aero position in the bunch I can't see him putting out the power to win it.

I'd say surprise winner could be Pinotti, equal odds that Contador or Menchov take it.

It's mostly flat/downhill.. I think he'll appreciate that and - maybe we can hope he scores a top 7 then??

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
No way Levi has the legs IMO but who knows? I still don't think he can take a top 7 even if he does a good ride.

Contador might even win it but I think Bruseghin has a good shot too (Italian TT champ right?)

Kloden would have been the hot shot favorite to take it had he not abandon.

As far as the Maglia Rosa goes, I'm almost sure Contador would take it. I don't see Bruseghin putting 2 minutes plus over him and I definitely do not see Ricco riding better than him. Maybe close, but I don't think Ricco has enough for a flat TT, especially since he only managed a minute plus behind Alberto on the other ITT that was half hilly.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
uzziefly said:
Contador might even win it but I think Bruseghin has a good shot too (Italian TT champ right?)
I think the only way Contador loses it, is if he has an very bad ride and Ricco has an exceptionally good ride.

Contador was faster than everyone just behind him except Menchov (more or less even) on the flat part of the 1st time trial.

Hard to see Contador riding so poorly and someone else riding so well as to overcome the 2+ minutes they need.

·
Lemur-ing
19,208 Posts
Dwayne Barry said:
I think the only way Contador loses it, is if he has an very bad ride and Ricco has an exceptionally good ride.

Contador was faster than everyone just behind him except Menchov (more or less even) on the flat part of the 1st time trial.

Hard to see Contador riding so poorly and someone else riding so well as to overcome the 2+ minutes they need.

Very true. I don't think he even suffered today too so that's a bonus as well. Di Luca did well yesterday but paid for it today as he cracked like an egg dropped.

Simoni was good today but went too little too late unfortunately.

I think Contador would win it coz like you said too, Ricco has to ride phenomenally well and Contador has to really blow up. Bruseghin is just too far back too.

bas said:
It's mostly flat/downhill.. I think he'll appreciate that and - maybe we can hope he scores a top 7 then?? [/QUTOTE]

As far as Levi being in the top 7, no way in hell as he's 35 minutes down. Unless he drafts a formula one car with chains tied to his bike etc etc, no freaking way.

And that 35 minutes was based on YESTERDAY's stage too. :p

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
levi has been silent. maybe they are saving him for spain?

or, how about this for conspiracy: astana gets news they WILL be invited to france. therefore, kloden gets "sick" and rests up. they tell levi to take it easy because they will need him in france, so they send colom up the road for contador.

whats nice about having the ITT as the final stage is you go ballstothewall for yourself. the team can rest a bit for the next race. granted, they will need time checks, but with power meters they know how much wattage and effort the time checkers are putting in and can adjust accordingly.

G

·
Mosovich said:
My pick is David Miller...

It is a good course for him, if the weather is good. Still, I think Contador will find "something special" to prove he IS the Maglia Rosa in Milan.

Levi, doesn't have the form, IMHO.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Weren't they saying last year in Le Tour that "this kid Contador isn't very good in the time trials" and that it was possible that he was going to lose the yellow jersey on the second to last day. I remember he managed a respectible time (20th or so).

Now, less than a year later, the 130 pound spaniard is favored to win flat ITT's? Pretty amazing if that's the case.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
brentster said:
Weren't they saying last year in Le Tour that "this kid Contador isn't very good in the time trials" and that it was possible that he was going to lose the yellow jersey on the second to last day. I remember he managed a respectible time (20th or so).

Now, less than a year later, the 130 pound spaniard is favored to win flat ITT's? Pretty amazing if that's the case.
Disco Channel always worked on their riders in the wind tunnel.

I imagine Contador got some wind tunnel work in his year there.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I think Millar or Bruseghin or some other guy who can push a 55x11 at 100rpm.

It was nice to see DiLuca blow today. I was afraid he had gotten a special delivery after yesterday's performance.

Based on the last 5 or so years I would say anyone who pulls out "sick" is a 50/50 shot at a bad dope test in the offing.

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
bas said:
Disco Channel always worked on their riders in the wind tunnel.

I imagine Contador got some wind tunnel work in his year there.

I need the biggest roll eyes ever. Cunego has done wind tunnel work too (at the same place), and he isn't ever favored in a TT.

Brusegin will win it, and take a chunk of time out of Contator, but not nearly enough. Ricco will surprise and be close. Speaking of Cunego, remember 2006 TdF. Cunego had gotten trounced in the first TT by Markus Foethen, but on the final TT, Cunego "paid him back" and put a fair amount of time into him, enough to claim the White Jersey. It was a much longer TT though, but he also need alot more than 4 seconds.

Now if I could have things my way, Millar wins it, and Ricco beats Contador by 5 seconds.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.