Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Argh! My internet Eurosport radio connection dropped just after chechu took off :mad: Insane racing - doubt the Giro will bother with Belgium for a while after this year!

·
Banned
608 Posts
cascadebiker said:
Definitely worth watching the highlights. Serious turn by Jens Voigt working hard to pull CSC up to the front in the run-up. Hellacious conditions out on the road today.
Initial results indicated that Savoldelli gained at least three seconds on all his rivals. Cyclingnews is not not showing that, though.

Anyway, Disco leads the team classificiation so they will start the TTT last. Being able to gauge their effort on times already set by CSC means Savoldelli will probably gain time on Basso and the rest.

·
Former Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
My, my Gerlosteiner! Who is this Schumacher guy? He's a bit of a revelation so far.

Provisional
1 Stefan Schumacher (Ger) Gerolsteiner 5.14.43
2 José Luis Rubiera Vigil (Spa) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 0.02
3 Davide Rebellin (Ita) Gerolsteiner 0.06
4 Paolo Bettini (Ita) Quick Step-Innergetic
5 Philippe Gilbert (Bel) Française des Jeux
6 Jens Voigt (Ger) Team CSC
7 Andrea Moletta (Ita) Gerolsteiner
8 José Ivan Gutierrez Palacios (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears
9 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team
10 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas

General classification after stage 3

1 Stefan Schumacher (Ger) Gerolsteiner 10.14.04
2 Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 0.13
3 Davide Rebellin (Ita) Gerolsteiner 0.23
4 José Ivan Gutierrez Palacios (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 0.29
5 José Luis Rubiera Vigil (Spa) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 0.31
6 Serguei Gonchar (Ukr) T-Mobile Team
7 Bradley McGee (Aus) Française des Jeux
8 Francisco Perez Sanchez (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears 0.32
9 José E. Gutierrez Cataluna (Spa) Phonak Hearing Systems 0.33

fc
10 Michael Rogers (Aus) T-Mobile Team </pre>

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
Initial results indicated that Savoldelli gained at least three seconds on all his rivals. Cyclingnews is not not showing that, though.

Anyway, Disco leads the team classificiation so they will start the TTT last. Being able to gauge their effort on times already set by CSC means Savoldelli will probably gain time on Basso and the rest.
Cyclingnews has it that Gerolsteiner is leading the team classification by 5 seconds over Disco.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
Salvodelli gained...

7 seconds on Di Luca, Basso, Cunego

23 seconds on Simoni

49 seconds on Rujano

Nice attentiveness by both Disco and CSC. Everyone else, look out. After the TTT, who else thinks Gibo is out of the running?

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Argentius said:

23 seconds on Simoni

49 seconds on Rujano

Nice attentiveness by both Disco and CSC. Everyone else, look out. After the TTT, who else thinks Gibo is out of the running?

That is why the 2006 Giro is the best tour this year. This is actually a mountain top finish. That makes 8 total I think. Nothing shakes the GC like a mountain top.

francois

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
sploush said:
Anyword on if he got injured. Didn't seem too bad of a crash but one never knows, hopefully it won't affect him the rest of the tour.
I thought Milram did a really good job trying to reel him back
Oh, he's hurt. He kept holding his bleeding knee. He stopped at one point and they cleaned it up. Then he hung on to the medic car and they worked on it some more.

He can probably continue on BUT, if he cannot win a sprint because of the injury, he will probably abandon.

francois

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
If Simoni can climb like he used to be able to, then come stage 17 and on he will make up the ~1-2 minutes he'll be down. I think the number of big "bergs" this year will really put a hurtin on Salvodelli.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I'm just frustrated I couldn't watch it!

Cycling.tv was on the fritz... and I wimped out, wanted to know what happened, and just watching cyclingnews's live reports.

I agree with you on the Giro -- it's sweet.

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Einstruzende said:
If Simoni can climb like he used to be able to, then come stage 17 and on he will make up the ~1-2 minutes he'll be down. I think the number of big "bergs" this year will really put a hurtin on Salvodelli.
Spumoni had nothing last year! And the year before. Last year he gained no time on Salvodelli on the final day with some heinous climbs. Now that was a stage!! Di Luca looked like the destroyer... but then he cramped. Rujano looked good too. Salvodelli is looking more fit this year than last.

The year before, Cunego dropped Simoni. But that's another long story.

If Simoni can be a top level climber again I'm all for it. I actually like him. He's a fighter and an animator.

francois

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
Argentius said:

23 seconds on Simoni

49 seconds on Rujano

Top 10 prospects Sella and Van Huffel both lost 33 sec. today. For guys who are looking to improve from last year (10th and 11th respectively in 05), you don't do it by giving up half a minute on what should have been a bunch finale for the GC guys.

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
Argentius said:
23 seconds on Simoni

49 seconds on Rujano

... who else thinks Gibo is out of the running?
Gibo is not out of anything. At least not out of anything that he was in the running for. No way he's top 3 in my book.

Today was just a data point. It was a haaard finish that shakes up the standings. But it was literally 2 minutes of racing so let's not rule anybody out yet.

fc

·
Steelman Eurocross bike
3,151 Posts
beaker said:
Top 10 prospects Sella and Van Huffel both lost 33 sec. today. For guys who are looking to improve from last year (10th and 11th respectively in 05), you don't do it by giving up half a minute on what should have been a bunch finale for the GC guys.
It wasn't going to be a bunch finale. It was a very narrow and difficult climb to a hill top finish. Jens Voight delivered the pain and Chechu Rubiera delivered the crushing attack up the finishing hill. The speed at which those guys climbed was im-pressive. That F1 guy shumacher was scary strong. There was no way the GC was going to be left intact.

McEwen finished over minute back. This was not a sprinters day.

That's why this Giro is so good this year. TDF fans say it's the racers that make the race, not the course. That's utter bullcrap. It's the course and the racers that make the race.

francois

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Argentius said:
I'm just frustrated I couldn't watch it!

Cycling.tv was on the fritz... and I wimped out, wanted to know what happened, and just watching cyclingnews's live reports.

I agree with you on the Giro -- it's sweet.
eurosport was commenting on the airplane with the repeater was interfering with the belgium military equipment and they had to knock it off.

there was another thread about this.. unless it was at the end of the race when they had the picture back some how and cyclingtv was really on the fritz.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Begging your pardon, Francois, but Simoni was much better last year than 2004. The non-summit finish on the Finestre and a cat-and-mouse effort by Rujano (instead of full gas) on that same stage were just as decisive as Paolo's descending skills.

As for today's stage, another strong kid steps up. Schumacher, Schleck, Cancellara, and so on... the next generation is preparing to take over. I like it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.