Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Provisional
1 Robbie McEwen (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto 4.59.50
2 Isaac Galvez (Spa) Caisse d'Epargne-Illes Balears
3 Oscar Freire (Spa) Rabobank
4 Thor Hushovd (Nor) Crédit Agricole
5 Tom Boonen (Bel) Quick-Step-Innergetic

Robbie really has superior tactics.

With about 300-400 yards to go, there is a bend in the road and so the sprinters cannot see the finish line. While others are looking for the line, Robbie launches an attack on the blind corner. Race over.

I believe he used this same strategy last year to beat a favored field. Anybody remember that stage?

fc

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I remember last years WC had a similar finish, however he couldn't get the job done. Be kinda neat to see McEwen as WC. I was rooting for Bettini though.

Anyway, interesting. Boonen doesn't look as strong as last year (when he surely would have walked away with the Green if he didn't crash).

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
boy oh boy that was a boring stage. part & parcel for the 1st week i suppose.

·
limit screwed
807 Posts
Also, you have to imagine that Boonen is being marked more heavily this year than last year. He wasn't exactly an unknown quantity last year, but now people are really sticking like glue. He's not as good as McEwen from flitting from wheel to wheel, and if it comes down to the finish like it has without any single team setting the pace to jump from, he and Thor will be watching McEwen doing the YMCA from behind every time.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
lonebikeroftheapocalypse said:
Anyone know why Thor was relegated? Velonews has him listed 4th then crossed off and relegated.

Stage Results
Official Results - Stage 4 (revised)
This report filed July 5, 2006

1. Robbie Mc Ewen (Aus), Davitamon-Lotto
2. Isaac Galvez (Sp), Caisse d'Epargne-I.B., 00:00
3. Oscar Freire (Sp), Rabobank, 00:00
4. Thor Hushovd (Nor), Credit Agricole relegated
4. Tom Boonen (B), Quick Step-Innergetic, 00:00
5. David Kopp (G), Gerolsteiner, 00:00
6. Daniele Bennati (I), Lampre, 00:00
7. Francisco Ventoso (Sp), Saunier Duval, 00:00
8. Michael Albasini (Swi), Liquigas-Bianchi, 00:00
9. Bernhard Eisel (A), Francaise des Jeux, 00:00
10. Jimmy Casper (F), Cofidis, 00:00

11. Michael Rogers (Aus), T-Mobile, 00:00
12. Anthony Geslin (F), Bouygues Telecom, 00:00
13. George Hincapie (USA), Discovery Channel, 00:00
14. Laurent Brochard (F), Bouygues Telecom, 00:00
15. Arnaud Coyot (F), Cofidis, 00:00
16. Stefano Garzelli (I), Liquigas-Bianchi, 00:00
17. Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr), Discovery Channel, 00:00
18. Andréas Klöden (G), T-Mobile, 00:00
19. Gert Steegmans (B), Davitamon-Lotto, 00:00
20. Alexandre Botcharov (Rus), Credit Agricole, 00:00
21. Marzio Bruseghin (I), Lampre, 00:00
22. Floyd Landis (USA), Phonak, 00:00
23. Eduardo Gonzalo Ramirez (Sp), Agritubel, 00:00
24. Nicolas Jalabert (F), Phonak, 00:00
25. José Luis Rubiera (Sp), Discovery Channel, 00:00

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
I hope this puts to bed

the whole recent 'Who's the best sprinter debate' Robbie is by far the most cagey, most adaptable and IMHO not the fastest but the quickest sprinter out there. Guy sits invisible for 5 hrs to appear at the key moment to take the victory. Had he not mis timed sprint in stage 1 he'd have 3 stages.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
atpjunkie said:
the whole recent 'Who's the best sprinter debate' Robbie is by far the most cagey, most adaptable and IMHO not the fastest but the quickest sprinter out there. Guy sits invisible for 5 hrs to appear at the key moment to take the victory. Had he not mis timed sprint in stage 1 he'd have 3 stages.

I totally agree and those who question why Boonen/QS didn't simply dial up the choo-choo and win lack an in-depth knowledge of racing.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
francois said:
at least there was a breakaway. just imagine a sprint stage without one.

fc
i can image a sprint stage without one... in a cat 5/4/3 race :)

iirc i've never seen it happen in a euro-pro race.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, but WHY?

nmnmm

bonkmiester said:
Stage Results
Official Results - Stage 4 (revised)
This report filed July 5, 2006

1. Robbie Mc Ewen (Aus), Davitamon-Lotto
2. Isaac Galvez (Sp), Caisse d'Epargne-I.B., 00:00
3. Oscar Freire (Sp), Rabobank, 00:00
4. Thor Hushovd (Nor), Credit Agricole relegated
4. Tom Boonen (B), Quick Step-Innergetic, 00:00
5. David Kopp (G), Gerolsteiner, 00:00
6. Daniele Bennati (I), Lampre, 00:00
7. Francisco Ventoso (Sp), Saunier Duval, 00:00
8. Michael Albasini (Swi), Liquigas-Bianchi, 00:00
9. Bernhard Eisel (A), Francaise des Jeux, 00:00
10. Jimmy Casper (F), Cofidis, 00:00

11. Michael Rogers (Aus), T-Mobile, 00:00
12. Anthony Geslin (F), Bouygues Telecom, 00:00
13. George Hincapie (USA), Discovery Channel, 00:00
14. Laurent Brochard (F), Bouygues Telecom, 00:00
15. Arnaud Coyot (F), Cofidis, 00:00
16. Stefano Garzelli (I), Liquigas-Bianchi, 00:00
17. Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr), Discovery Channel, 00:00
18. Andréas Klöden (G), T-Mobile, 00:00
19. Gert Steegmans (B), Davitamon-Lotto, 00:00
20. Alexandre Botcharov (Rus), Credit Agricole, 00:00
21. Marzio Bruseghin (I), Lampre, 00:00
22. Floyd Landis (USA), Phonak, 00:00
23. Eduardo Gonzalo Ramirez (Sp), Agritubel, 00:00
24. Nicolas Jalabert (F), Phonak, 00:00
25. José Luis Rubiera (Sp), Discovery Channel, 00:00

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
dangerous sprinting

Thor must have come radically off line. maybe he was still P/O'd about 2 days ago when he felt Mcewen cut him off and did something silly. I'll have to rewatch.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
plus textbook leadout

Robbie also demonstrated the right way to use a teammate, with Steegmans giving a perfect leadout (his comments below)-it was amazing and completely gapped the field. On the other hand, Dean showed perfectly how not to give a leadout... start way too early, swing off, then watch your team as you drift across the road, smasing into another rider and almost taking out Boonen in the process. Good thing he was the only one to go down-could have been really nasty.

McEwen: "He almost took off too early, but I got him back on the rails. We waited until 450 metres to go and from then, we came off the [other's] wheels. We went flat out, and imagined that the finish line was at 200 metres to go. He did exactly to the letter what I said. It made it simple for me, but I didn't dare to look around.

·
imbasilical moreon
1,894 Posts
Don't know.......other sources are not reporting him relegated........

Procycling had this bit, maybe he was scrambling to get around Dean (who went down?):

"McEwen took immediate advantage of the confusion that was caused at the front of the bunch when Thor Hushovd’s lead-out man Julian Dean as the road bent slightly to the left with just a couple of hundred metres left. Dean had just completed his brief but exhausting stint on the front of the peloton when his bars were clipped by an Ag2r rider, who had race leader Boonen alongside him.

·
For president!
7,851 Posts
atpjunkie said:
I still think Ale-Jet is better, but obviously not in the frame of debate for this GT.

Boonen has appeared off his game in every sprint he's been in. Why he doesn't have a lead out train in the final kilo is beyond me. Between Tossato, Pozzato and De Jongh, he should not be looking for wheels to follow on C-A. Rocco, care to explain your cryptic comment earlier?

Silas

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
as a 'pure sprinter'

yes Ale Jet is the man but he'slimited by the ways he can win. He's shown that if you can disrupt his leadout he becomes quite beat-able, though MSR showed he can do it without the train. McEwen to me seems able to win in more ways than one. He has a more diverse bag o' tricks. Boonen is in yellow, QS is having to do a load of the work chasing so they are pretty much cooked come lead out time. Johann (as I predicted) is having a ball with this tour. Gets Egoi in the break (kid has huge potential) grabs all the time bonus' and puts 3 riders into the top 10 and adding another threat with GH, PS, YP and JA. He can do little chaotic moves for about 2 weeks unless they take gc in the TT.

Dean appeared to have finished his sprint was sitting up to coast home, had a bit of contact with the guy next to him, tried to lean into the other rider (what you are supposed to do when you lock horns) but the other rider was already peeling away. I didn't see an bars locking, I saw a guy blown up from a leadout thinking he was getting bumped lean toward the contact to only have the rug pulled out from under him.

·
Self-Banned
16,907 Posts
SilasCL said:
I still think Ale-Jet is better, but obviously not in the frame of debate for this GT.

Boonen has appeared off his game in every sprint he's been in. Why he doesn't have a lead out train in the final kilo is beyond me. Between Tossato, Pozzato and De Jongh, he should not be looking for wheels to follow on C-A. Rocco, care to explain your cryptic comment earlier?

Silas

Classic Cipollini type lead out trains don't work for all kinds of finishes and all types of sprinters. Some have missed these fine examples of this fact during the last two days. Instead of framing the situation by questioning what's wrong with Boonen and his lead out train perhaps the better way would be to discuss what's right about what McEwen is doing. The conditions of the last two days have favored McEwen's style. Boonen can win his share when the situation suits him better. Not understanding these things reflects an incomplete knowledge of racing. ...no offence intended.

·
Not Banned
49,249 Posts
yes some finishes don't suit

classic leadout trains and sprinters. even last year at the tour and giro McEwen took advantage of late turns or other chaos creating issues to beat the train of Petacchi. He did the same to Cippo as well. He's quite good at examining the parcourse and finding where he has an advantage and if there's a kink in the road you can bet he'll be the first through it accelerating to victory. Think back to that finale where Cippo went into the boards. Robbie uses his quick jump, bike handling and cunning to steal victory from what most would say are physically superior riders.
But look at the concept of the train. If they do their leadout they leave their sprinter about 75-200 meters from the line. The train is already hitting super high speeds and this is when a Petacchi or Cippo launches. They just have to maintain speed or slightly accelerate to victory.How fast do you have to be going to pass a guy going mid 40 mph in under 200 meters? Almost impossible to come around someone enough to beat them. You have to pray they crack, mis-time the distance and start to slow otherwuise it is theirs.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.