Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hincapie the sprinter huh? How big was the final field sprint? It seems Hincapie has the confidence to take the sprint when the field is limited to a few fast guys.

I'm glad he took Wegman. That guy stole the race from a couple of Umericans on the SFGP last year.

It seems the race is over. Floyd has a big lead, is in fine form and there is nothing in the next two stages that could mix up the standings.

This tour really needs some uphill finishes. Otherwise, the winner is decided primarily by the TT.

francois

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
francois said:
Hincapie the sprinter huh? How big was the final field sprint? It seems Hincapie has the confidence to take the sprint when the field is limited to a few fast guys.

I'm glad he took Wegman. That guy stole the race from a couple of Umericans on the SFGP last year.

It seems the race is over. Floyd has a big lead, is in fine form and there is nothing in the next two stages that could mix up the standings.

This tour really needs some uphill finishes. Otherwise, the winner is decided primarily by the TT.

francois
I agree they need a serious mountain top finish next year. Two would be even better. I'd like to see a route run through the San Gabriel Mountains to the top of Mount Baldy. Mount Palomar over in FL's neighborhood would be great for sure.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
rocco said:
I agree they need a serious mountain top finish next year. Two would be even better. I'd like to see a route run through the San Gabriel Mountains to the top of Mount Baldy. Mount Palomar over in FL's neighborhood would be great for sure.
I could come up with a lot of good uphill finishes, but it ain't gonna happen. A mountain top finish will bring out the cycling fans, but finishing in a city brings out a lot of ordinary people. Compare the crowd for the finish of the time trial, set in the suburbs, to the downtown finishes of any other stage so far, and you'll see the issue. There were a lot of people at the TT finish (including me), but there were at least three or four times as many people downtown, eating and drinking and buying stuff and enjoying the race.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
mohair_chair said:
I could come up with a lot of good uphill finishes, but it ain't gonna happen. A mountain top finish will bring out the cycling fans, but finishing in a city brings out a lot of ordinary people. Compare the crowd for the finish of the time trial, set in the suburbs, to the downtown finishes of any other stage so far, and you'll see the issue. There were a lot of people at the TT finish (including me), but there were at least three or four times as many people downtown, eating and drinking and buying stuff and enjoying the race.

True... The orginizers stated goal of building a race to rival the GTs of Europe rings hollow anyway. Ain't gonna happen, as you say. Maybe they could at least route stage through the San Gabriel Mountians and Verdugo/San Raphael foothills with the finish in Old Town Pasadena. I also still think they should go over Mount Palomar even if the stage finishes in Temecula or Escondido

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rocco said:
True... The orginizers stated goal of building a race to rival the GTs of Europe rings hollow anyway. Ain't gonna happen, as you say. Maybe they could at least route stage through the San Gabriel Mountians and Verdugo/San Raphael foothills with the finish in Old Town Pasadena. I also still think they should go over Mount Palomar even if the stage finishes in Temecula or Escondido

Mountain top finish could happen and it will happen. Cause I said so :).

This year, the goal was to maximize viewers, impact, city involvement, revenue, yadiya. Totally understandable. Next year, they can make it a better race. I have faith. These guys are good.

For starters, Mt. Hamilton would be good enough. I just wish there was more room at the top of the hill.

francois

G

·
Well, it seems as though tough climbs with city finishes are at least somewhat selective. Maybe if there was one stage with three or four seriously difficult climbs (maybe an HC?) it would be very selective with a finish as close to the end of the decent as possible. Dunno, but it is a bit of a drag having one ITT making such a big difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts