Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
no breaks sticking yet, and the sprinters seem to be sticking close to the front. for now. to me, this indicates teams feel there will be a separation at those 2 Cat 2 climbs. at least thats what im telling myself.

anyone else notice the schleck brothers are next to each other in the GC? i find that kinda funny. sometimes i think theyre twins.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
weltyed said:
no breaks sticking yet, and the sprinters seem to be sticking close to the front. for now. to me, this indicates teams feel there will be a separation at those 2 Cat 2 climbs. at least thats what im telling myself.

anyone else notice the schleck brothers are next to each other in the GC? i find that kinda funny. sometimes i think theyre twins.
Large group has split off the front as a result of a crash, Cunego is the only big name I've seen that went down.

Garmin appears to be having trouble bringing the break with Millar in it, back.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some early signs millar, voight, and scholz are going for a break. hincapie tries to pull the group together and there is a crash. that may help the break keep away or cause those 25 or so riders in the front to join the front for a mini peloton.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
weltyed said:
some early signs millar, voight, and scholz are going for a break. hincapie tries to pull the group together and there is a crash. that may help the break keep away or cause those 25 or so riders in the front to join the front for a mini peloton.
Looks like Cunego and Euskatel riders are not in the front group and maybe Schmacher too? And Devolder, as QS is riding along with Euskatel to close the gap.

·
your text here
13,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think a lot depends on the individual.
i dont know too much about gearing and the pros, but my guess (and this is a guess) would be they are running either 11-25 or 12-25. this is still considered a transition stage, so i doubt they are using anything above a 25. heck, some are probably riding with a 23. the reason i think they are running 11 is the descent to the finish. if it does bunch up and there is a sprint, they will need the top gear.

KleinMan said:
hey, anyone know what kind of gearing most riders are using? I assume 53/39 up front, but what about the rear?

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
ColdRider said:
Consensus was a tough day today... Racing from KM 0...

+21 mins for the Autobus
Backstedt hors-délai (+31 mins)
Jégou, Moreau, Gadret, Facci DNF...
Cunego lost time again, got to figure it's looking like he's not going to play a role in the GC fight.

Ricco seems pretty attentive for someone with no GC concerns.

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
ColdRider said:
I like Cunego but you are right on the last assessment. Him and Big George are going stage hunting methinks.
Methinks Big George will be doing a lot of work for Kirchen and won't be in a position to go for stages. Big George was never a GC threat. Even if Kirchen gives up yellow, he's still in a pretty good position to contend for the green jersey, and he'll need Hincapie to eat up some kms in order to achieve that result.

I'm disappointed in Cunego's performance the past few days.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Run1stBike2nd said:
I'm disappointed in Cunego's performance the past few days.
Me too. He did not ride the Giro, focussing on le Tour. I expected quite lot from him. I suppose it is a bit early, but getting dropped on the short steep climb yesterday, and not finishing with the contenders today does not bode well for the rest of his race.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Ya know, when Armstrong said Cunego is not the right kind of rider for the Tour, my response was "wtf?" but I guess he knows things I don't, and that Cunego isn't the right guy for the GC. Riders are always saying that the Tour and the Giro are different...

·
Registered
673 Posts
I want Cunego to do well and you could say 2:09 isn't reason to give up. But really he will have to either totally come out and win a big stage and gain back time or if he continues like he is he can kiss his TdF goodbye

·
Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
Creakyknees said:
Ya know, when Armstrong said Cunego is not the right kind of rider for the Tour, my response was "wtf?" but I guess he knows things I don't, and that Cunego isn't the right guy for the GC. Riders are always saying that the Tour and the Giro are different...
I didn't think Cunego's TT skills were good enough to win the Tour, but I never expected to see him get dropped on those climbs the way he did. I thought somewhere just off the podium would be attainable for him in this Tour, but that'll be a tall order unless he finds his climbing legs by the Pyrenees.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Run1stBike2nd said:
I didn't think Cunego's TT skills were good enough to win the Tour, but I never expected to see him get dropped on those climbs the way he did. I thought somewhere just off the podium would be attainable for him in this Tour, but that'll be a tall order unless he finds his climbing legs by the Pyrenees.
On reflection, he did personally do a lot of the work for about 40km to close the gap after the split occurred when he crashed. So with a crash (he says he couldn't feel his leg for the whole stage) and lot's of work perhaps not so surprising he was deficient on the climb, but still not looking good for when the real climbing starts.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.