Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
If contenders are going to isolate Froome, they may want to start on this stage, rather than wait until there is like 1 mountain stage remaining.

The final 6 miles after the final climb are very calm - being the first over the top may only count so much.

A stage like this will make us miss Valverde.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I think this stage is only a warm-up for stage 9, think the fireworks will be in full bloom during the latter one. Hopefully one of the top 5 or 6 GC contenders will hit it from the (uphill) start of 9.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
This was another stage for Valverde. Maybe Dan Martin will this stage if he can stay with the the rest on the climb. That of course unless a break wins it.

·
Registered
675 Posts
At last, a stage worth watching from the start. This has been brutal from the neutral zone. Groups all over the place

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
I'm watching on NBCSN.

Is it just me, or am I seeing as many commercials as there is coverage of this stage :confused: ???

I'm starting to get bored because it's starting to look like a show trailer :mad2: .

The first 7 stages appeared to be more in line with much more coverage than commercials.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,961 Posts
Demare is 10 miles off the back lol

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I guess today and tomorrow we find out if Valverde going home is going to help get his team's heads back into the race. (He's been trying to get them back into the race as he's been calling them and talking to them every day. Still the team leader and trying to keep their spirits up while he's the one injured and in the hospital. Shouldn't they be the ones calling him and trying to make sure his spirits are up?)

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,421 Posts
Watching right now-Calmejane is leading @ the summit. Not nearly as crazy as the hors catagorie ​climbs...

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
I'm watching on NBCSN.

Is it just me, or am I seeing as many commercials as there is coverage of this stage :confused: ???

I'm starting to get bored because it's starting to look like a show trailer :mad2: .

The first 7 stages appeared to be more in line with much more coverage than commercials.
Now I understand.

Once the final climb started the coverage was uninterrupted until a few minutes after the stage leader crossed the line.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Demare is 10 miles off the back lol
That's kind of a long way back.

I wonder what the time cut will be?

And will he or any other stragglers will make it?

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,299 Posts
All of this only helped Froome - all GC contenders are getting equally tired, except Froome, since Sky is continuing a great job of focusing on one winner and one race for the year.

No one was willing to make Froome get isolated. Things had better be interesting tomorrow, or viewership is going to drop big time.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Great stage to watch. The first two thirds was wild. Calmejane has a bad bit of cramp with 5 Km to go and looked like it would cost him the stage. He did well to ride thru it.

I don't think Demare has finished yet. He has been ill overnight and suffered with the high tempo. I think the time cut is around 45 minutes

Update: Demare and others came in at +33 and a bit minutes so made the time cut

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
All of this only helped Froome - all GC contenders are getting equally tired, except Froome, since Sky is continuing a great job of focusing on one winner and one race for the year.

No one was willing to make Froome get isolated. Things had better be interesting tomorrow, or viewership is going to drop big time.
in which fantasy world would Sky really be put in trouble on one large hill? If that's the expectations then it's probably better people just leave.

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Team Skye and Froome look like a familiar story from, say, 12+ years ago...

Just sayin'.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Team Skye and Froome look like a familiar story from, say, 12+ years ago...

Just sayin'.
Agree, its easy to hate on Sky because they are so dominant but its not as if they are doing something that every other team wouldn't try to do (if they could). Perhaps as the tour continues we'll see some weakness that can be exploited. Protecting the yellow jersey day in and day out is hard work

·
Anphaque II
6,176 Posts
Agree, its easy to hate on Sky because they are so dominant but its not as if they are doing something that every other team wouldn't try to do (if they could). Perhaps as the tour continues we'll see some weakness that can be exploited. Protecting the yellow jersey day in and day out is hard work
Yeah; they'll pass it back and forth between Skye team members :lol: !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts