Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...flipping awesome!

Loving it. Palomar Mt. has my 'spect. :thumbsup:

Lance and Popo aren't far behind isolated Levi, we'll see if he has help on the last climbs...imo, it's going as Astana thought it would and they've laready planned for it.

Woo-hoo!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Nibali put on a clinic in mountain descents -- spectacular.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,137 Posts
Just got back from the race. The jumbo-tron went blank during the early part of the Palomar climb. Was this the case during the regular broadcast?

·
5,137 Posts
I woke up late so I didn't make it up to the Palomar area. I stayed in the city of Escondido and it was crazy. People everywhere. I even lost a good spot near a jumbo-tron. Next year I'll remember to set my alarm clock (if they come back).

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JaeP said:
I woke up late so I didn't make it up to the Palomar area. QUOTE]

Yesterday I was thinking how nice it was that I hadn't seen paunchy, beer-bellied bald men in Speedos running alongside the riders, such as you see so much of in the tdf.

Wrong. They came out in force up on that climb today. Waking up late spared you the permanent trauma of being a firsthand witness.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hoehnt said:
Now that the Tour of California is over and the Chilly Hilly is over what are we supposed to focus on?

Why OEH's hillclimb in August (assuming we do it again). 5000 plus feet of climbing in 12 or so miles. Nice little mountain.

The guys were talking bigger and better this year w/more support. Many have expressed interest in making an overnight camping extravaganza at the mountaintop lookout cabin. Already checked with the Forest Service, camping is allowed. :thumbsup:

·
Frog Whisperer
40,916 Posts
OEH....I know you have dialup so I am going to suggest that if you work tomorrow, and have some time (assuming a hospital has faster than dialup) go to cycling.tv. You should be able to watch todays stage, start to finish if you want to. I couldn't watch today at all...I will catch it in the morning.

·
5,137 Posts
Dunlop diease

OldEndicottHiway said:
JaeP said:

Yesterday I was thinking how nice it was that I hadn't seen paunchy, beer-bellied bald men in Speedos running alongside the riders, such as you see so much of in the tdf.

Wrong. They came out in force up on that climb today. Waking up late spared you the permanent trauma of being a firsthand witness.
Ah . . . . um . . . . how did you know I brought my Speedo? You must be psychic. [insert Twilight Zone music]

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
JaeP said:
Just got back from the race. The jumbo-tron went blank during the early part of the Palomar climb. Was this the case during the regular broadcast?
No, with the exception of a few normal picture breakups, tour tracker coverage was solid.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
OldEndicottHiway said:
JaeP said:

Tour tracker had one quick shot of some very large fellow wearing one of those v shape ribbon swimsuit kind of things. The ones that only cover nips and crotch. The shot was from the rear and did not last long. It really freaked out the tour tracker commentators. Bobby Julich was on at the time and he said "that's just so wrong"

·
Super Moderator
19,518 Posts
I watched it from the 4th category KOM - Cole Grade. Max gradient was 16%, followed by a cruel straightaway of 9%. Tough climb.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
watched the start

then spent the day watcing on closed circuit from the VIP tent drinking free coffee, beer and such and eating freefood. Was on the rail at 60 m from the line. Could have slapped Frank Schleck in the head as he sprinted by.
Svend and Dr. got some great pix. Hollywood got one of DZ giving a podium girl a money shot. He showed the pic to DZ at Stone brewing and Dave loved it. (should be in the lounge soon). Talked to Levi @ doping control and we sent Floyd a beer @ dinner.

Oh Bob Stapleton spoke with us for about 10 minutes and I had a nice talk with Erik Breukink as well. Really nice guy.

·
5,137 Posts
No photo skills

I can't photo worth a darn. My two pics at the finish of ToC. A dog having fun and Nibali leading Schleck to the sprint.

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
right? Hanging w/pros is kinda fun :D (they look SO much younger in person. My god).

Stone Brewery in Escondido is epic to begin with. Then having Garmin and Ouch teams show up to eat and hang out doesn't hurt things either.

That reminds me - I gotta email DZ his pic :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
fornaca68 said:
Nibali put on a clinic in mountain descents -- spectacular.
he is young, once he gets older he will slow some....... unless he goes "Hero to Zero", tiny little tire traction limits can be difficult to predict or save once adhesion is lost!

......... wish I could have seen it!

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
my photo skills are mostly luck, I was on Palomar, and when the race came by I just pushed the button on my camera repeatedly and pointed in the general direction. I got lucky with this one with Armstrong in it.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I was about 1K from the top, hanging out with the pope and a few of his close friends.

joe

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Camping...

OldEndicottHiway said:
Why OEH's hillclimb in August (assuming we do it again). 5000 plus feet of climbing in 12 or so miles. Nice little mountain.

The guys were talking bigger and better this year w/more support. Many have expressed interest in making an overnight camping extravaganza at the mountaintop lookout cabin. Already checked with the Forest Service, camping is allowed. :thumbsup:
Wow, though, though it was beautiful up at the top of that mountain, and that fire lookout would be super awesome to sleep at, it was COLD up there! Yoikes!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts