Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't plan to do as much as 100 miles last saturday, but Igor had registered for a century and couldn't go, so I went in his name. 100 miles in the Anza Borrego desert near the mexican border. Cholla and other cactii, sand, bushes and big rocks were the main landscape for the day. It was a real easy century, I took 8 hours, but took my time and stopped a lot at each rest stop.

The full illustrated ride report is on
http://www.vision.caltech.edu/pmoreels/Images/StagecoachCenturyJan06/

Pierre

·
Bike Dude
986 Posts
Reminds me of Phelan California

I like to take my 'crosser with me when I go visit my Auntie there. Still quite a few trails left to ride.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I think I rode part of that course

Pierre said:
Didn't plan to do as much as 100 miles last saturday, but Igor had registered for a century and couldn't go, so I went in his name. 100 miles in the Anza Borrego desert near the mexican border. Cholla and other cactii, sand, bushes and big rocks were the main landscape for the day. It was a real easy century, I took 8 hours, but took my time and stopped a lot at each rest stop.

Pierre
I used to live down in SD and think I did that ride. Does it go through the Aqua Caliente area? I seem to remember going through Ramona to get to it...looked like it from your map anyway. Here's a pic from my ride...

I'm in rainy Portland right now...wondering why I moved back!

·
Registered
590 Posts
your cielo is amazing...

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Pierre said:

Pierre
I heard there were significant gusting cross winds.

Did you have any problems?

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cross winds ? more like strong headwinds during 50 miles. Which turned into strong tailwinds the next 50 miles.

Pierre

Lifelover said:
I heard there were significant gusting cross winds.

Did you have any problems?

·
Tourist
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your picture might well be the climb where some people were dismounting and walking up the hill. Fortunately for me the climb was not too long :)

Pierre

Cervelo-er said:
I used to live down in SD and think I did that ride. Does it go through the Aqua Caliente area? I seem to remember going through Ramona to get to it...looked like it from your map anyway. Here's a pic from my ride...

I'm in rainy Portland right now...wondering why I moved back!

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Pierre said:

Pierre
That picture of the chili scared me....that wasn't chili I don't think. If you're really interested in an '05 Extralight send me a PM. I know where there are 2 waiting for a good home at a nice discount.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was out there..

Got there late, about 9am. I started into incredible headwinds the first 3 miles or so. Finally hooked up with a few people and pushed it for about 30 miles out with them. Fortunately the winds got better, but never stopped.

The turnaround was a drag. If you did the 100 you had to pass the lunch stop and ride 2 more miles out into a headwind, turn around....ahhh wind at my back...and go back to the lunch stop location, ready to eat.....AGGGHHHH not so quick! You then had to turn BACK into the wind and go out 2 miles again and come back.

Of couse the ride back was all about the big ring with the wind at my back! There were a couple of hills but nothing bad. I was suprised to see people walking up some of the hills..in their socks.

The wife also did it and had a great time.

It was a fun course with great people. I'd recomend it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts