Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone flown with a Stages power meter? Just wondering if TSA would let it through in a carry-on bag. Renting a bike for a quick training trip and I'd like to capture my power data.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
good question. I have thought of taking my Stages between my bike in AZ and my bike here in PNW.

My guess is no, not allowed in carry on.

Last year we arrived merely an hour before our flight and they would not allow us to process our check in bag, which contained many bike tools. They confiscated my pedal wrench, which is kind of a crank-arm-like weapon.

this is one upside to the Garmin power pedals over the other PM I guess. They'd get through in carry on I bet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have flown with my Stages in a carry-on many times. Live in Wisconsin, work 50% in Kentucky; have a bike down there with same crank. I tell TSA, show them up front, bike pedal. Has not been an issue with the crank arm/powermeter. Your wrench to install needs to be under the 7" (or whatever it is) limit.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Curious why some of you say "no"? There are written rules for what you can and cannot bring;

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items
In the case of a tie, the TSA wins.

I think the rules are subject to "interpretation" by TSA where you are. You can't really appeal to anyone. The agents aren't always interested in talking over, or sharp enough to do so. I buy furniture to restore from a government place that also sells confiscated items, there are lots of nice bike pieces in those bins. I had a pair of Sram Road cranks get denied, had even removed chainrings. Sad and Silly.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
On two separate occasions, I have carried my Stages as carry on and no problem. Both times were on international flights out of LAX to Taiwan. No problem. Have not tried on a domestic flight though.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I don't get the "in the case of a tie" comment?

You think a TSA agent would think it's a weapon?

I'd only worry if you try to "hide" it and it shows up on the body scanner. HAHAHA!!

Medical radiography Joint X-ray Radiography Radiology

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
In the case of a tie, the TSA wins.

I think the rules are subject to "interpretation" by TSA where you are. You can't really appeal to anyone. The agents aren't always interested in talking over, or sharp enough to do so. I buy furniture to restore from a government place that also sells confiscated items, there are lots of nice bike pieces in those bins. I had a pair of Sram Road cranks get denied, had even removed chainrings. Sad and Silly.
yeah my Park pedal wrench actually made it on the first leg of our journey South (Victoria to Seattle). Then in Seattle .. they confiscated it before the 2nd leg.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So far, so good. No problem on the out-bound leg. Now just need to see if I can get it home. :) Stages suggested removing the battery which is a good idea since it does emit a signal and not sure if avionics are tested with Bluetooth or ANT+ signals.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
I don't get the "in the case of a tie" comment?
When you're getting screened and there's 100 people behind you in line, you have 30min to catch your flight, and the TSA agent says "No you can't take that with you" and you say "But it's allowed" and the agent says "No it's not". What are you going to do? Continue the pi$$ing match? Get pulled off to the side, demand to see a supervisor. Google the TSA rules on your smart phone. Taken an hour to hopefully get it straightened out. Meanwhile your plane left 30min ago.

Stages suggested removing the battery which is a good idea since it does emit a signal and not sure if avionics are tested with Bluetooth or ANT+ signals.
I wouldn't worry about it. Avionics are pretty well shielded. Mythbusters did an episode on it a while back.
Think about it, 1.73 million passengers flying per day (just in the U.S.)! Virtually every one has a cell phone. Virtually all cell phones have Bluetooth. Many cell phones have ANT+.
What percentage of those people aren't turning off their phones or putting them in airplane mode? I bet it's pretty high. Yet planes aren't falling out of the sky from signal interference.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What percentage of those people aren't turning off their phones or putting them in airplane mode? I bet it's pretty high. Yet planes aren't falling out of the sky from signal interference.
And before the phones, it was all electronic devices, right?

So much stupidity with regards to passengers in the airline industry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts