Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what percentage or you people here use standard double, over campact, and what are the positives and negatives of each.

Thanks alot.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Use a search, you'll find a LOT of posts on on this topic. There's not a + or - to either really, it's what fits YOUR riding style and level of fitness. www.sheldonbrown.com can show you the ratios of either, if you're thinking of trading. Usually, a cassette change is less expensive and easier.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
This has been discussed a lot but I guess this is an opportunity for a short summary.

- If you run mostly flats or moderate climbs, no question about, get a standard.

- If you have lots of climbing involved and you are young and strong, keep the standard, you'll develop the strenght.

- If the climbs and really long or step and you are not so young/strong/fit you probably need a triple or compact.

I have used the 3 and I can tell you.

• The standard is good, has well balanced shifts, weight less and keep the other components small, disadvantages: need a strong rider to climb on it.
  • The triple keeps the same 2 rings, but add the 30T for when you can't push the 39T. disadvantages, heavier, biger derailers, the chain is crossed most of the time, spindle width is larger.
  • Compact, keep the clean chainline, weights less, keep smaller components, gives a range closer to the triple. disadvantage : loses high end, shift from 50T to 34T is too big, make an standard cassette fell "off" most of the time.

I guess if you have never riden a Standard, and just start with the compact, it would feel natural, but for me who ran an Standard since forever, I dislike the compact, all gears feel off-place.

Also when on the triple, on the 30T you can climb things you couldn't with the 39T, but for me it is frustrating, because you are doing so much effort and spinning a lot just to move slowly upwards.

It feels better on the 39T just to stand up and push the pedals.

... If I only was stronger... :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My first road bike had a compact, but my new bike that i will be getting next week, will be a standard double. I am a pretty strong rider, so i think i will be fine. Thanks for the info guys.

much appreciated...

·
85 Posts
Standard vs. Compact

This is the same "dilemma" that I've been dealing with. I'm 56 years old...in pretty good shape, but I still consider myself a novice cyclist/triathlete after 6 years of riding. My 1st road bike was a Trek 1000 triple. I then purchased a Cervelo Dual tri bike - a standard double. I replaced the stock cassette (11-23 9 speed) with a 12 - 27 (I think!?) just before I did my 1st Ironman at Lake Placid in 2004. I didn't have any problems during the race ...I always had several gears available in spite of the hills. This past year I bought a Cannondale Synapse 3 SL standard 53/39 double with an 11-25 cassette. The bike is great but I have to admit that I've had some trouble on hills with the set-up. After some thought I decided to replace the 11-25 with an 11-27, and it's made a big difference believe it or not. The "extra" few teeth really make a big difference. As Peanya said, it's a lot less expensive than a crankset change. I'm happy, and I don't feel that I'll encounter any hills that I won't be able to handle.
Good luck,
Dave:thumbsup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
a lot of people just can't get by with the harder standard gears. hence the compact and triples. but, with the proliferation of the wider range cogsets, it's a bit easier.

when in doubt, get a compact. it's very easy to swap out to a standard later with the outboard bearings and such if necessary. it's also very easy to change cassettes. it's just not a tough decision anymore because it's not too hard to hedge on it later.

·
haole from the mainland
5,962 Posts
timkstl said:
a lot of people just can't get by with the harder standard gears. hence the compact and triples. but, with the proliferation of the wider range cogsets, it's a bit easier.

when in doubt, get a compact. it's very easy to swap out to a standard later with the outboard bearings and such if necessary. it's also very easy to change cassettes. it's just not a tough decision anymore because it's not too hard to hedge on it later.
Chainrings are even easier to swap out. You can go up to 52/38, I think, on a compact.

·
Registered
150 Posts
last bike was a triple and living in south jersey (flat) it was useless..moved to a standard double with 11-23 cassette and couldn't be happier. much better top end speed.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Salsa_Lover said:
This has been discussed a lot but I guess this is an opportunity for a short summary.

- If you run mostly flats or moderate climbs, no question about, get a standard.

- If you have lots of climbing involved and you are young and strong, keep the standard, you'll develop the strenght.

- If the climbs and really long or step and you are not so young/strong/fit you probably need a triple or compact.

I have used the 3 and I can tell you.

• The standard is good, has well balanced shifts, weight less and keep the other components small, disadvantages: need a strong rider to climb on it.
  • The triple keeps the same 2 rings, but add the 30T for when you can't push the 39T. disadvantages, heavier, biger derailers, the chain is crossed most of the time, spindle width is larger.
  • Compact, keep the clean chainline, weights less, keep smaller components, gives a range closer to the triple. disadvantage : loses high end, shift from 50T to 34T is too big, make an standard cassette fell "off" most of the time.

I guess if you have never riden a Standard, and just start with the compact, it would feel natural, but for me who ran an Standard since forever, I dislike the compact, all gears feel off-place.

Also when on the triple, on the 30T you can climb things you couldn't with the 39T, but for me it is frustrating, because you are doing so much effort and spinning a lot just to move slowly upwards.

It feels better on the 39T just to stand up and push the pedals.

... If I only was stronger... :D
Again, check the gear ratios - the same can be accomplished with a different cassette. A 34 w/ a 25 is nearly the same ratio as a 39 w/ a 27. Of the posts here, I do agree that a triple can help for those that rarely ride on hills, and they'll need it because of fitness level. I'll also agree with the difference between the 2 gears (compact vs regular) is bigger with a compact, but again, one shift of the rear can correct that too.
I think the "debate" between compact and standard is more in our minds than reality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts