Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this one is kind of strange, but ... I'm healing from being hit by a car, and my left knee and hip are still pretty hurt. I was messing around with some exercises, trying to test my strength and range of motion, when I discovered this trick.

I can do it with my (less-injured) right leg, but my injured left finds it too tough. A non-cyclist friend couldn't do it at all. It goes like this:

Sit on the floor with your feet in front of you. Reach forward with both arms.

Now, you're going to stand up using only one leg. Extend one foot forward so that no part of it touches the ground.

Rise your butt off the ground a little bit, keep your other foot planted, and, in one smooth motion, stand.

Your arms and other leg must remain forward. You cannot touch your other heel to the ground, or press it against your other leg for support. No swinging of the arms or bouncing, either.

Can you do it?

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
My knees would blow up if I tried that.... :rolleyes:

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
i can do it... wouldnt say i can do it smoothly, but i can do it - i do it more in two movements - an initial one that gets my butt about 4 inches off the ground, with my arms and other leg still straight ahead of me, and then a second movement that gets me up to standing.
with the right leg i think you could kinda see the pause (i was watching in the mirror), with the left i was pretty fluid... which was weird considering that my left leg is the weaker of the two

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Pistol

In Pavel Tsatsouline's book "The Naked Warrior" he gives the progression in working into doing this difficult (for us mere mortals anyway) move. It's a popular exercise with the kettlebell and martial arts crowd.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
i can get into the opening position and squat, but i can't get up. i to am happy no walked in when i tried it.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Not without farting.

Seriously, though--I can do it with one leg (my right) but not the other. I used to be able to do both when--you guessed it--I was doing martial arts. Now the problem is mostly that my knees hate it, though strength in the left leg is probably also an issue.

·
Call me a Fred
16,999 Posts
May the force be with you.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Argentius said:
Hm, I found this article that's basically the same :

http://www.fullkontact.com/a_pistol.html

The only thing I did differently was starting fully seated. I think I may start doing this daily for some cross / balance training, maybe eventually holding some weights.
Yes, pistols are good exersise, I have done them in 50left+50right+50left+50right series (without pauses), but it was ~27 years ago :(

·
Home Brew User!
2,810 Posts
Shoot the Duck!

In roller and ice skating lingo it's called "shoot the duck".

Was never very good at it myself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts