Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to decide between a look 585 and the new 566. Everything fits on both in terms of reach and saddle height but the one difference I am unsure about is the stand over.

The stand over is 24mm taller on the 566 then the 585. Should I be concerned about this?

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
if everything else fits fine, I wouldn'y worry about standover... besides it will be affected by tire choice. how often do you straddle a bike with both feet on the ground?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you're ready to buy a fine bike like that, seems to me your LBS should be
(no let me correct that) MUST be getting you professionally fitted, such that
issues like standover (and a million others) would be addressed before ride one.
Not that there would not be constant tweaking, but the basics fit would be close.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
It's a road bike. Assuming it fits you in the critical dimensions of seat height, fore/aft and reach to the bars, then standover is a lower-priority consideration.

As long as you can safely / comfortably climb on and off the bike, it should be a non-issue.

But +1 that the other fit dimensions have to be right.

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have already been fitted at the LBS so we have my stats on file and use that to fit. The TT is about 10mm longer but I run a 110 stem so that shouldnt be an issue. I also currently run about 40mm of spacers under my stem but on the new 566 it has a 25mm higher headtube so that should be even better then what I have now

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
You don't run a certain length stem until after you determine what bike fits you. If you buy a bike that will require you to buy a 90mm stem, you buy a 90mm stem. Forget about the parts you already have. If you need new ones, you buy new ones that fit you on that frame.

·
Calm like a Bomb..
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
alexcad5 sorry ..I dont think I was clear...I am saying that I am currently running a 110 stem on my current bike with similar head angle/seat angle but the new bike has about 10mm more TT so i am just saying that I may have to run a different length stem to accommodate the new longer TT

·
Registered
508 Posts
Some of us with proportionally long upper bods/shorter legs have no option but to either go custom or buy a bike with very little standover to get the right fit in the other dimensions. Minimal standover hasn't created any problems for me so far on the road bike, and I'm much happier with the fit than with a smaller bike. Mountain bikes however, that's a different matter.

(One word of advice, just be wary on steep hills with either bike. That's where minimal standover becomes minus standover if you are not careful about how you come to a halt.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.