Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I tried it out a couple of years ago on vacation in Hawaii and instantly got hooked. I grew up surfing so I was instantly pretty comfortable. We just recently moved back to the coast of VA, and figured why not pull the trigger on a couple of boards.

We found what looks to be a good outfit called SUPATX out of Austin, TX of all places. Great deal on two boards and come with carbon paddles.

Anyway, next goal is to figure out how to move these massive things back and forth to the water :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
E 12 said:
My son and I tried it out a couple of years ago on vacation in Hawaii and instantly got hooked. I grew up surfing so I was instantly pretty comfortable. We just recently moved back to the coast of VA, and figured why not pull the trigger on a couple of boards.

We found what looks to be a good outfit called SUPATX out of Austin, TX of all places. Great deal on two boards and come with carbon paddles.

Anyway, next goal is to figure out how to move these massive things back and forth to the water :thumbsup:
That sounds fun. One of my goals for the summer is to SUP on the Potomac in DC/MD. I grew up surfing and skateboarding, so I should be pretty comfortable.

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
put the same effort

with a broom on your driveway and sidewalks
you'll get the same workout and have a much cleaner yard

·
waterproof*
41,602 Posts
I don't get it. Sure, it's great balance and core work, no doubt. But that's about it... it's so slow and impractical for any kind of water travel / exploring.

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, a kayak is likely better for open water exploration. But these will serve as something fun to do at the local river as well as some paddling with the abundant porpoises and some SUP surfing at the oceanfront. Plus, everybody in the family can do this easily enough......win/win for me.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Have you been hanging out with MB1?

joe

·
just ride your bike
518 Posts
Just don't be that guy who sits 100 yards outside of the 'normal' surf lineup and paddles furiously to snake every set wave.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
lampshade said:
That sounds fun. One of my goals for the summer is to SUP on the Potomac in DC/MD. I grew up surfing and skateboarding, so I should be pretty comfortable.
Jack's in Georgetown has some nice boards for rent, just be sure they install the fin before you go out.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
MB1 said:
Jack's in Georgetown has some nice boards for rent, just be sure they install the fin before you go out.
I got a deal on Groupon from Valley Mill Kayak School in Potomac, MD (by The Old Angler's Inn) for lesson/rental. I am going to try that first, but will give Jack's ago if the SUP bug bites me.

·
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
8,088 Posts
I built a paddle for pushing around my longboard. I used a curtain rod, mounted a little handle on the end, then used 2 hockey pucks for traction. Same thing, only on land...instead of in the water.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts