Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the race this weekend a few guys were talking about Stan's or Tufo fluid in their tubulars. They hadn't suffered any flats and hadn't seen any evidence of the fluids at work, but they'd put them in and had been racing flat free for the past 2 seasons.

I'm picking up a pair of Challenge Grifos tomorrow and I'd like to squirt some Stan's in them. Has anyone done this? How much did you put in your tires? Anyone?

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
About 1 oz does the trick, usually. I've used it for 3 seasons. No flats.

·
Good news everyone!
5,452 Posts
It's been great on my mountain bike. It takes a serious cut to slow me down now, great for thorns, glass, etc.

·
Banned
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim311 said:
It's been great on my mountain bike. It takes a serious cut to slow me down now, great for thorns, glass, etc.
Oh yeah, I know. I've been running Stan's on my 29er's for a few seasons now. I usually pour a few scoops in the tires and seat them so injecting into the valve will be a different experience.

So about an ounce or so? Anyone else use a different volume?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,439 Posts
on a tire of that size, an ounce should be fine. i put it in all our cx tires, and i'm convinced it helps. :thumbsup:

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
TWB8s said:
At the race this weekend a few guys were talking about Stan's or Tufo fluid in their tubulars. They hadn't suffered any flats and hadn't seen any evidence of the fluids at work, but they'd put them in and had been racing flat free for the past 2 seasons.

I'm picking up a pair of Challenge Grifos tomorrow and I'd like to squirt some Stan's in them. Has anyone done this? How much did you put in your tires? Anyone?

I only add stans to fix tires, not prevent punctures. No need to add crap/weight into your expensive tubular unless you have to, that's what the pit is for.

·
Registered
262 Posts
cxwrench said:
uhhmmm...add more?
But don't you get the dried up crud rolling around in the tube. I know with my tubeless MTB tires Stans will dry up and turn to a ball of crud - never evaporates - so I clean out the old and put in new.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,439 Posts
that tiny bit of weight (that you don't feel, it just sloshes around in the tire, no added rotational weight) may say you from having to do nearly a full lap on a flat. it worth it. and if it dries up in the tire, who cares? add a bit more and you're good. it will stay wet for a season, a tire isn't likely to last much more than that, maybe 2 seasons. add a bit for the second season, no problems.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Raced this past weekend (Sat & Sun). Put my bike in the car after the race Sat and the front tire was flat. Found a thorn. Put some stans in when I got home. Sealed right up. Added stans to the rear also to prevent this from happening again.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
OnTheRivet said:
I only add stans to fix tires, not prevent punctures. No need to add crap/weight into your expensive tubular unless you have to, that's what the pit is for.
It's worth it to prevent the need to pit, isn't it?

Stan's does dry and form a ball of solid stuff. There's no way to get it out of a tubular obviously. Don't know about the Tufo stuff.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have had better luck with Caffe Latex than with Stans. On a couple of occasions I had tires fixed with stans only hold air for a couple days, whereas when I have used Caffe Latex the tire was as-new after.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
i used the stans on road tubulars also for training and can use a sprinter 250 right down to the cords with no flats, despite all sorts of cuts. without sealant they usually flat before wearing out. I really like it a lot. I run a couple oz in my training tufo cubus tires and they take an ungodly beathing

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
Just got back from a road ride. Stan's saved it. I use Conti Giros as training tires and Stan's saved me from walking home.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Slime

30ml of SLIME in each tire... .. helps with the horrid goat head infestation in the greater Boulder Bubble area races...

·
E Plurbus Elvis
1,055 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I resurrected a flatted road tubular that way this spring ... 1 oz of Stans in a Conti Sprinter. Raced it another weekend, a month later I added a bit more since it lost some of it air again. Still in good shape.

I flatted a Vittoria CX tire a few weeks ago by going over a metal bridge (shouldn't have done it)... Stan's wouldn't seal it, it was coming out all around the tire where the Aquaseal had cracked (last years tire). I dissected the tire after taking it off and found a pretty big hole in the tube inside (1/4"). Patched it and salvaged a tube out of it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts