Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all

I took my bike into the shop to have the steerer of my TCR Comp cut down (it's a new bike and wanted to make sure I was happy with the height). The steerer is CF and the stem i CF (at least I believe it's CF, and not CF wrap).

All was fine and dandy util i noticed that they overtightened the star nut. Apart from being irritated, should i be worried? Is this anything more than cosmetic damage?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
????

First of all, a CF steering tube does not use a star nut, it requires an expansion plug to support the stem is the area where the stem is clamped.

All I see in the picture is a normal top cap on a carbon stem. What am I missing?

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
C-40 said:
First of all, a CF steering tube does not use a star nut, it requires an expansion plug to support the stem is the area where the stem is clamped.

All I see in the picture is a normal top cap on a carbon stem. What am I missing?

I didn't want to be the first to say that. haha.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
C-40 said:

As someone who's never seen a CF stem in person (at least not to look carefully at), all I saw was some places that could be interpreted as chips, right up against the cap. Personally, based on the symmetry of them, and the fact that the ones to the rear of the bike seem to be bumps, not chips, I'd say they're intentional.

And ditto on the whole starnut thing. Did you know that Italian for sneeze is starnuto? Makes me laugh every time I see starnut now.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
apologies. i'm obviously not a wrench.

the two bulges near the cap, as cirlced in red in the first jpeg.

my question - is this something to be worried about, or just a cosmetic issue?

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
I think if it wasn't like that when you brought it in, it's an new stem. Not because it poses any threat of catastrophic failure, but rather because the shop should clean up after its sloppy work.

I wouldn't take it, and if they didn't make it right, I would find another store. Well, when I got treated like that, I didn't find another store, I taught myself to do the work. And I've never had another complaint.

·
Registered
21,509 Posts
Looks like:

botto said:
the two bulges near the cap, as cirlced in red in the first jpeg. my question - is this something to be worried about, or just a cosmetic issue?
I have a very hard time believing that those two bulges were caused by installation. They sure look like they are part of the design of the stem. I would have to see the stem with the cap off, but the shape, appearance, and placement of those bulges appear to be part of the original shape of the stem.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
I have a very hard time believing that those two bulges were caused by installation. They sure look like they are part of the design of the stem. I would have to see the stem with the cap off, but the shape, appearance, and placement of those bulges appear to be part of the original shape of the stem.
I had the same thought about the bump on the bottom - looks like nothing more than sloppy finish work from the original MFGing of the stem. The top one though looks to me like the clearcoat is blistered up, which might be from the inner, not-exposed edge of the top cap (assuming it has one) ploughing up the surface.

I was assuming the OP noticed some before/after difference. Maybe not?

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if truth be told, i had not noticed the bumps originally. perhaps this is due to the fact the steerer was stciking up about 2 cms higher, or maybe because the bike has only seen the road for 4 times prior to cutting the steerer.

thanks for all of the replies.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
First, I also don't see ANYTHING AT ALL in the photo that would lead one to believe that ANYTHING AT ALL is wrong with your stem.

And second, in order to tighten a top cap so much that even the wussiest of carbon stems cracked, you would also need to completely munch the headset. Does your front wheel turn? Yeah...quit worrying and ride your bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts