Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wearing blue suede shoes
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are getting together with four other couples to do some group cooking (not kode) (yet).
Once a month one of the couples will host the group and pick the theme for the meal. The thought is to explore a variety of different ethnic styles. The non-host couples will be responsible for bringing appropriate side dishes to compliment the main course, which will be the host couple's responsibility.
This was our brainchild and therefore we are hosting the initial gathering.
Any thoughts on a meal?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
Unless you know the other couples are culinarily confident, I'd start with something people are familiar with so you get off on the right foot and it's fun for everybody. You can get tricky afterward.

Something like Tex-Mex, while kind of lame as ethnic food, is simple to make and has plenty of options that don't use hard-to-find ingredients. French also uses "normal" ingredients and can be very easy, but people are intimidated by the idea sometimes. You could also consider such themes as all raw or cold/room temp items, or dim sum or other all-appetizer meal.

I'd also recommend assigning a course or type of dish to each couple. Cuts down on winding up with a whole bunch of last minute tubs of Whole Foods bean salad. Don't be coy about what the main is, either. If people know what the main is you'll usually wind up with other dishes that work better with it.

If you can't think of enough courses, assign one couple to choose the beverage, though you may have to take up a collection to help pay if you're a big drinking group.

We do progressive dinners sometimes (each house hosts a course), and it's always fun, but my main interest is the food, so I think doing it all in one place is a better idea.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
set up to fail. even if they are just bringing sides, its potentially 8 people in a kitchen. and you know those sides will need to be heated somehow, if not prepared there.

but, hey. i say go for it. just make sure you do german night.

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
weltyed said:
set up to fail. even if they are just bringing sides, its potentially 8 people in a kitchen. and you know those sides will need to be heated somehow, if not prepared there.

but, hey. i say go for it. just make sure you do german night.

This is one of the upsides of a progressive dinner. Downsides include having to leave the course before yours early so you can run home and finish making your bit before everyone gets there, and having to drive with your drink on (unless, like us, you live within walking distance of the other homes).

·
Wearing blue suede shoes
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Potential for failure is certainly there. Some of those details have been previously hashed out (food pun). Specific courses will be assigned so as to avoid overlap. We are going to limit it to appetizer, soup/salad, entree, and dessert. The idea is to make it byob.
Tex-mex would be easy, but uninspired. Looking for more suggestions...

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
peterjones said:
Potential for failure is certainly there. Some of those details have been previously hashed out (food pun). Specific courses will be assigned so as to avoid overlap. We are going to limit it to appetizer, soup/salad, entree, and dessert. The idea is to make it byob.
Tex-mex would be easy, but uninspired. Looking for more suggestions...

I say Mediterranean. It covers a huge range and can be as easy or difficult as you want it to be.

joe

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Lots of options for cuisine

The fastest way to fail is trying to do it too often (not kode). People have jobs, kids, other friends, other commitments and trying to add a cooking club just won't work. Stick to two or three time a year...IMO. Seasons work well. That would be at most four times a year....it supports seasonal themes also.

·
Registered
524 Posts
^
I agree with him But do pizza. A decent stone is only 20 dollars or so, get some crusts and toppings everyone can even help and make a couple different tastes since you can bake each one in about 10 minutes. Sides for Italian is easy.

We did this before except I was the only host then we quit because it got too expensive when I started getting to fancy trying to impress everyone and I was doing it weekly.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
peterjones said:
My wife and I are getting together with four other couples to do some group cooking (not kode) (yet).
Once a month one of the couples will host the group and pick the theme for the meal. The thought is to explore a variety of different ethnic styles. The non-host couples will be responsible for bringing appropriate side dishes to compliment the main course, which will be the host couple's responsibility.
This was our brainchild and therefore we are hosting the initial gathering.
Any thoughts on a meal?
My comment probably is too late. But, I think that the key to success with such an endeavor is getting a group that has similar food tastes/issues. Given the various food issues that more and more people have, it could be hard to find 10 people who will eat the same thing. It seems like every time that we have had guests for dinner at least one or two people have been playing with their food rather than eating it. Then, after the fact, we have found out that X does not eat (fill in the blank).

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I used to do those types of dinners with some friends. Instead of sides, each person or couple (depending on relationship status) was responsible for a course. That way there was no worry about things clashing within a course. The host was responsible for the main. I was glad we did it that way because I'm a picky bass-turd in the kitchen and have a difficult time blindly trusting what someone else is going to add to my dish.

·
smell my finger
994 Posts
8 people is a lot of mouths to feed and brings the cost up quite a bit. I think Italian is quite doable, mexican also but some would foods would be $.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
lablover said:
8 people is a lot of mouths to feed and brings the cost up quite a bit. I think Italian is quite doable, mexican also but some would foods would be $.
Cooking for 8 is most likely cheaper than dining out for 4. With a lot of foods even for 2. Especially if you factor in wine/drinks.

·
Wearing blue suede shoes
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Differences in taste and willingness to try new foods is probably going to be the biggest challenge here. I like the idea of Mediterranean because I like the idea of doing something with lamb, but that might scare some people.
I have to commit to something because I am going to have four couples in my house next weekend and they would probably like to know what the plan is.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
My GF is in one, and I sorta joined it when I broke my collarbone. My first dish turned out really good and everyone expected me to be a regular. Lately though it interferes with prime NNC time, so I've skipped the last couple of months.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
smoke some part of a pig (or whole pig) have people bring typical sides like fried swamp cabbage, gator tail, frog legs etc. make sure u dont run out of beer or sweet tea hth.

·
Wearing blue suede shoes
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
That's what I'm talkin about. How should I describe the cuisine in the invitations.
BTW that looks like a lot of fun.

·
had it in the ear before
13,965 Posts
peterjones said:
That's what I'm talkin about. How should I describe the cuisine in the invitations.
BTW that looks like a lot of fun.
i put a pic of the pig before being butchered and then from last years cookout and call it a pork'n party bbq. it is alot of fun and this years is Oct 16th ya'll are all invited.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
There are only two things to be concerned with;
1) Runing out of food and/or libations
2) Making them sick
Nothing else will be remembered

1 - 20 of 21 Posts