Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First a little background. I am 35 5'9" 230lbs. Musculer but probably 30# overwieght for my build. Three weeks ago started running to get prepared for my new road bike (lay away). The road bike is going to be my main training method. I race dirt bikes in off road events, usually 3 hours long. I started running for 30-45 minutes 2-3 times a week. Keeping my heart rate 150-160 most of the time. I occasionally kick it up to 185 (short sprint) then let it drop to about 140 then resume to 150-160. I did this fro two weeks felt great! I took a couple days off road a 3 hour race. Felt horrable. I have taken almost a week off. I have been very achy and burnt out. Like every joint in my body aches, very tired after work. I finally went back out today. I ran about 2 miles 140-160 bpm I feel a little better, not so tired. My question is should I back off, or keep going? It feels almost like having the flu. I have not felt a huge improvment yet. My legs turn to brick after a fairly short time. I am looking forward to the bike. This running stuff is seeming like a very bad habbit! ---Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mike, good on you for getting out there! Sounds like you've gone out way too hard to begin with (especially if you've not run before). Having run before myself, I know that you can adapt to running reasonably quickly however your runs need to be SLOW. That is, at a pace where you could still hold a conversation. Over say, a 3-4 week period, you can increase the distance but NOT the intensity (which I'd leave out anyway). If your goal is to bike, I would start road biking now. Cycling is a much less stressful activity on your legs and makes building up specific fitness heaps easier. I ran for a period of about 5 weeks, 6 days a week, a year ago and I found that it didn't increased my road cycling ability at all
( I have been competitive riding for a while though). I'd say hit the road bike now and enjoy it! Just don't go out too hard. As with running, build up slowly. A coach and/or program is also a great idea especially if you're new to the sport. All the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.