Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Stationary Bike

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  chopsuuy 
#1 ·
Ok I know some of you are going to say "What do you want a stationary bike for?" Ride your rode bike!
Well the fact is as much as I'd like to I can't ride everyday! There is this thing called a job and a life and sometimes more often than I would like they get in the way of the things I'd rather be doing!
So I'm thinking if I had a stationary bike at the house I could at least take a ride on it when time for the Road bike isn't there! Like when I leave at 5am and get home at 10pm!
I'm riding for several different reasons but the top of the list is to lose some weight and get back into better shape than I am In now!
So now for the questions!
What type of Stationary Bike should I go for? I like the recumbents but think an upright would be a better work out (the ones that work the arms also)?
Then again should I get a Trainer and use my road bike?
Then again I think "Ok would I be more apt to hop on a Stationaty bike or take the time to set up the Trainer and then ride?" I'm thinking the Trainer could provide an excuse to say the heck with it! and the Stationary bike would be a better choice?
I know the rode to better health is to ride consistently so this could help keep me in a routine!
Any opinions or advice?

See less See more
#3 ·
Options include:
- Rollers - the most fun you can have indoors on your bike once you learn how to ride them
- Trainer - at least you're on your bike
- Spinning machine - be careful to purchase one that has a road bike fit. While some of the high-end spinners look like they may replicate the fit of a road bike - most do not. For example, many spinning machines have crank arms that flare out and are not straight - you will immediately notice your feet further apart than on your road bike. Also be sure to try one with a heavy fly-wheel ~ 40 lbs.

#4 ·
I rode my stationary bike for a year before I bought the road bike. The muscles I use were different. And the higher resistance on the stationary bike is not the same as going uphill on a real bike. IMO, all the stationary bike did for me was the cardio workout and not the leg muscle development. So losing weight is one of your goals, a stationary bike will do the job.

#5 ·
The easiest, cheapest, most space-saving choice is a trainer. It only takes a few seconds to attach the bike, and the riding position is obviously the same as your road bike -- cause it IS your road bike.

Disadvantages: Rear tire wear, inability to do hard out-of-saddle efforts without instability and possible frame damage. A lot of people have a second beater bike to use on the trainer. For occasional moderate-effort use, not a big issue, IMO.

There are many kinds of stationary bikes. If you want to train in a way that transfers to the road bike, you want similar position; i.e., not recumbant, not upright.

I have a spinner, like they use in gyms (they're expensive -- I got a deal on a used floor-demo model). I like it. The position is close enough to the road bike, it's easy to vary resistance (but no calibration -- just do it by feel), and it's tremendously stable for sprint-type efforts.

Trainer is the easiest way to get started. You can get in long arguments on the merits of mag vs. fluid vs. wind resistance, etc. If you're using it for occasional medium-length rides to maintain fitness, I don't think it makes too much difference.

A quick look at the Nashbar and Performance sites shows several decent models under $200.

Your idea is an excellent one. Go for it. Be warned that for most of us, riding on the trainer is DEADLY BORING. I can ride for hours on the road and never tire (at least mentally), but sustaining a good effort for 45 minutes on the stationary machine can be torture. Set it up in front of the TV and find something involving to watch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.