Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey wrenches -

My name is Bruce (hi, bruce) and I drop my chain.

It's fine when in the 12 - 14 cogs, but if I'm above 15 and shift from the small to big chainring, the chain sometimes falls onto the BB and gets caught between the stay and the small chain ring. I've read about adding a link, and various guides that attach to the front derailluer, but I'm curious to know if you more experienced types can make any adjustment reccomendations.

I have acceptable slack in 53/25 (big-biggest) so I don't know if adding a link will help. I'm also looking for a good stay protector to put behind the small ring. I can find all kinds of full length stay protectors for slap, but not the mettalic drop protectors. Any tips on finding them?

·
Registered
48 Posts
What I've done is kinda ghetto, but cost me $0 and works well for my cyclocross bike when the chain slaps on the chainstays.

Take a discarded tube, or old handlebar wrap as well, and wrap it as neatly as you can on the chainstay tube. Use black plastic ties at both ends to hold it in place.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,463 Posts
The solution is to (A) Ride a steel bike....when you drop your chain....you scratch the paint.
(B) Ride an Aluminum bike.....when you drop the chain... you rough up the aluminum.
(C) Use a MTB trick and wrap an old innertube around the stay.

·
Smart A$$ White Boy
19 Posts
It falls when you shift from the small to large chainring? That doesn't make any sense. I think you mean from big to small and then it falls past the small, right? What kinda crank setup are you running? If it's older, sounds like the bb spindle could be too long, messy up your chainline and dropping your chain. Putting a chainstay protector on is not gonna keep the chain on, you gotta fix the problem, then protect the frame.

Adding a link will do nothing.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
This stuff is a little pricey, but I bought a roll several years ago and always have tape to protect all my bikes and my friends bikes too. The 8 mil works fine and is super tough and completely invisible. Get outdoor grade so it will not yellow.

I cover my chainstay, wrap the entire chain side of the BB top and bottom and put spots where ever cables might rub. I also wrap my seatpost where the saddle bag wraps because that area will wear down over time too. On rear entry horizontal drops or vertical drops, cut some to guard where the axle or freewheel will rub.

I clean everything down with alcohol before applying and then work out all the bubbles.

http://www.findtape.com/product173/...C4exCpg==&cid=21&idx=3&tid=1&info=Racers+Tape

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
get the front der adjusted and then a dog fang/jump stop/third eye

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
Fang, or any such won't fit my Onix and I do get very occupational drop. Usually comes from double shifts shifting up on the back while dropping off of the large in the front. Sort of like when the light turns red at a busy intersection and you want to get back in a good starting gear. Trained myself to shift off the large ring while not shifting in back and also keeping steady cadence while doing it. Much less drop.

The protector you show isn't for "drop" but rather "suck". My old bike (POS) would drop, then catch the chain on the crank spider which then sucked it into the stay. New bike (Onix) can be carefully shifted right back onto the chairing with no suck. Aside from a bit of grease getting in the BB outer cup and the egg on my face that's it

If we all go in on one sheet of this stuff we can cut enough protectors for everyone here with a carbon bike.
http://ticotitaniuminc.thomasnet.com/viewitems/plate-sheet/cp-titanium-sheets?&plpver=10&forward=1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts