Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the good fortune to be behind some dumbass in a cat 3 roadrace who took out 6 riders and sent 2 of us to the hospital. I currently have a broken foot and a lot of road rash. Anyone have suggestions for maintaining bass fitness while in a lower leg cast? Im going to let the road rash heal more before i do anything, but theres no way i can do 6 weeks totally off. At this point road season is not a consideration, but i would like to maintain good base fitness to start training for cross again over the summer. damn racers need to stay upright

·
scruffy nerf herder
4,484 Posts
Interesting question. I would take the opportunity through legweights if possible above the foot to enable strengthening the hip flexors, and core. You could also do core ab and lower back work from your knees or in a machine/back extensions. Depending on the break and how they stabilized it... you MIGHT be able to swim or do runnign in the pool, but I dont know what broke, etc.

You might be able to figure a way to attach your foot to a pedal on your trainer and then do single leg drills with zero resistance... and then mimic with the other. It would keep some semblance of motion. And improve upon areas that are otherwise likely neglected during the season.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Stair climbing

carlhulit said:
IAnyone have suggestions for maintaining bass fitness while in a lower leg cast?
At one point, I fractured both my feet and so was in a wheel chair for 7 weeks with both legs in below-the-knee cast/boot. I was able to maintain "decent" fitness by getting some volleyball knee pads and going up and down the stairs for 40 minutes every day on my hands and knees. I still sucked when I got back on the bike, but within 6 weeks, I was pretty much back to my normal speed. It would have been MUCH worse if I hadn't done all that stair work. Since you can get around a bit, I think funknuggets' suggestion sounds like a good one. Any "arms only" exercise equipment you might find would 1) not work your legs and 2) not allow you to get a lot of aerobic exercise, since your arms aren't those of a wheelchair racer. Find something you can do with your legs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.