Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, im going to buying a surly steamroller in a few weeks and im a big guy, 260 to be exact. so i was wondering if anyone had problems with the frame, or just opinions in general. also, could someone point me in the right direction in terms of a decent wheelset that will hold up? thanks in advance.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
I'm a big rider myself, just about at your weight too. I don't know much about the steamroller, but as far as wheelsets, people told me to go for Deep V's. I ended up not getting them, and I've got a set of 36 hole Suzue hubs laced to some nameless Araya rims that have done me well for the past few weeks. They're still true, whereas I had problems on my geared bike with the wheels going out of true constantly, and I've ridden this thing just about every day in the past three weeks. I'm sure it helps that a friend of mine built them up by hand, which I've been told make a difference.

And as for a frame, I'm using an older lugged steel track frame that holds up great. I don't think you can go wrong with steel. I had been looking at Steamrollers before I got what I have now, and in my research I hadn't heard of any negatives about them, as far as quality is concerned. Most complaints seemed to be over personal preference.

Best of luck with the fixie. Post pics when the build is done!

joe

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Don't get me started!

onabulletride said:
hi, im going to buying a surly steamroller in a few weeks and im a big guy, 260 to be exact. so i was wondering if anyone had problems with the frame, or just opinions in general. also, could someone point me in the right direction in terms of a decent wheelset that will hold up? thanks in advance.
Well, I'm "only" 170, so take this as you will, but coming off a Bianchi Pista, the Surly Steamroller feels very stout. I'm not the type who falls head over heels in love with everything I buy--my friends and family consider me to be fastidiously picky when it comes to equipment-- but in all honesty, my Surly Steamroller surpassed my every expectation.

I had always thought of Surly as just a sort of journeyman bike company, and I was always a little wary of their "street tough" marketing image. But upon getting one, I finally "got" it. This is a bike designed by bike guys who understand that all the carbon/scandium/titanium bling in the world doesn't meant sh!t if the bike doesn't ride well. Their bikes are good ol' 4130 Chromo, with sensibly thought-out geometry that you instantly feel at home on. The chainstays are works of art, with serpentine bends designed to accomodate a huge tire selection. The fork crown is flat, the rear fork-ends are shrouded -- in short, the closer you look, the cooler it gets.

As far as I'm concerned Surly has really earned their reputation. No, they aren't especially light, and no, they aren't "pretty." They're bikes for those of us who have outgrown such superficial pseudo-benefits and simply want a reliable, well-designed bike that's really fun to ride, and doesn't require taking out a second mortgage.

For wheels, tell your LBS to have QBP build up a set of Surly hubs with some Salsa Delgado 'Cross rims. Run a cyclocross tire and you'll enjoy boucoup comfort and the ability to Steamroll on pavement and off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Surly

onabulletride said:
I am 190, and riding something similar a la fixie at the moment: A Surly Pacer with an ENO hub swiched to the fixed side.

As far as I can see, I've beat the beejeezus out of my bike. I feel indestructibel riding the Surly. I know the geometry is not the same as the Steamroller, but riding it fixie, and being that it is the same steel, I five it high marks. The Steamroller will last you a while. The powdercoating is also some of the most durable.

I've been riding it for the last two years with the same wheelset. The rear has no brake marks since I only run a front brake. I am riding the front with some red rims (I can't remember, but later when I look at them, I'll repost it here) and an XT hub. yes, a mtb hub. The rear, same red rim, and the ENO. Stainless spokes on both. I have never had them trued since I got them...its all good.

Ok, the rims are mavics something or other and they're red.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I've got 2 surlys a Crosscheck and a karate monkey
they build some of the most solid bikes around. If anything, too solid.
I love the suppleness of 853 but 4130 takes abuse better

my track bike has some velocity deep v rims built on phil wood hubs. very pretty build but oh so solid. A big guy like you needs that.

you'll never worry about that frame, just your wheels

·
Registered
37 Posts
i have a cross-check and i know alot of people are going to yell at me for this, but it rides so much better than my old 1980 lugged panasonic. at first i was hesitant but then i had a chance to hop on one and i had to have one. do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts