Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to get a carbon fork for the Steamroller. Any suggestions? I'll be running 23-26 tires, so does not need to have the clearance the stock forks has (something with standard reach calipers, though). I do like the stock fork angle/rake, so something similar?

Thanks.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
don't know any specifics, but you'll want to match the angle/rake/offset and a-c length (and obviously steerer)... one or the other is prob easy to find, both will have limited choices

· oh lonesome road for you
1,713 Posts
Using a high stack headset might make up a little bit of axle to crown. I think Chris King does this with a 5mm base plate if you want to shell out the dough. Without knowing the steamroller's geometry, a cyclocross fork may actually be closest in measurments but you would have to use a cantilever brake.

· duh...
9,749 Posts
m_s said:
Using a high stack headset might make up a little bit of axle to crown. I think Chris King does this with a 5mm base plate if you want to shell out the dough. Without knowing the steamroller's geometry, a cyclocross fork may actually be closest in measurments but you would have to use a cantilever brake.

aren't most cx forks gonna have more that 38mm rake tho?

· duh...
9,749 Posts

· Baltic Scum
1,828 Posts
I pondered the same question a few years ago and postponed a decision because I could not find a fork with specs close the original. As you know, "Fatties Fit Fine" on Surlys, not on bikes with carbon forks.

A few weeks ago, I just put an old Look carbon fork on my Steamroller and went with it. Other than being considerably lighter and maybe a little smoother, it did not make a difference. In other words, don't over-think this.
https://forums.roadbikereview.com/images/attach/jpg.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.