Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good steel touring-oriented cross racing frame. Something fast but with rack and fender mounts like a Poprad, or a custom Strong would probably be the ultimate. I've seen a lot of nice bikes on this forum along these lines and want to know all the options. I'd like to stay away from frames like Surly but could be convinced. Thanks

·
Registered
20 Posts
Where are you located (what region)?

There are many small builders all over the country that build really sweet custom steel frames. Strong makes great bikes, but so does Shamrock, Vanilla, Inglis, Rock Lobster, Sycip, etc.

Find one in your area and treat yourself to the pleasure of the process of a custom frame.

·
Registered
414 Posts
The Salsa La Cruz is about the closest mass-produced frame you'll find to a Poprad. Has the same premium OX Platinum tubing and similar geometry:

http://www.salsacycles.com/laCruz08.html

But, this frame is disc brake specific (which I think is a bonus, but your opinion may vary of course).

Oh yeah, the Poprad has been re-branded as a Fisher Presidio and available as a frameset only:

http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/model/presidio

Has sliding droputs now, but seems rather pricey at $1,100.

Finally, search Craigslist or eBay for a used Poprad. They seem to be available on a regular basis. TIP: The Poprad is measured C-C and not the traditional C-T. Therefore, a 57cm branded frame will fit more like a 60cm C-T.

Below is a pic of my Poprad custom built from the frame up. My #1 choice for a "Do it all" bike! :thumbsup:

-Paul

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
rack and fender mounts on a steel racing frame??? the answer is easy, but you don't want to hear it.... what's your budget?

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
FatTireFred said:
rack and fender mounts on a steel racing frame?
His post says he wants a do-all frame and rack & fender mounts will add a few minor grams - nothing to prevent him racing. The LeMond shown above though has plenty of (arguably) excess weight in the form of disc brakes and hubs.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
Mike T. said:
His post says he wants a do-all frame and rack & fender mounts will add a few minor grams - nothing to prevent him racing. The LeMond shown above though has plenty of (arguably) excess weight in the form of disc brakes and hubs.

point is, you won't find too many racing frames w/ rack & fender mounts or steel cx racing frames. a do-all = surly or soma (gunnar?), but he apparently doesn't want those. the lemond also doesn't have the desired mounts

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
FatTireFred said:
point is, you won't find too many racing frames w/ rack & fender mounts or steel cx racing frames. a do-all = surly or soma (gunnar?), but he apparently doesn't want those. the lemond also doesn't have the desired mounts
If he goes custom (as I suggested) he can have steel or alum in any racing/touring/do-all geometry that he wants with whatever rack/fender mounts that he desires (neither of which will prevent him from winning a race). My steel Marinoni (featured here) is their CX frame that I had made with rear fender mounts and I use solely for dirt roading. It was about $1000canadian which is (today) $904.65US.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Paul1PA said:
Below is a pic of my Poprad custom built from the frame up. My #1 choice for a "Do it all" bike! :thumbsup:

-Paul
Love that Poprad and will probably be one of those bikes I will always regret not buying.

Back on topic, Masi makes a Steel CX with rack and fender mounts. And it's not a Surly but probably price competitive.

http://www.masibikes.com/tab3_subNav3.php

·
Registered
520 Posts
My vote for Jeremy Sycip at Sycip cycles. He made me an Al geared CX frame about 2 years ago and I am going back tomorrow to discuss my Steel Options for a SSCX frame. Check him out at www.sycip.com

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a Surly Crosscheck for commuting and a Circle A for cyclocross racing. The Surly is a solid bike, both in terms of performance and heft. It's a great value for a do-everything bike and can leave you enough money to add some decent components and buy a sturdy commuting wheelset and a light racing wheelset. My Circle A, on the other hand, is my favorite bike. It rides great and looks sharp. Working with a custom builder is a very cool experience if you have the time and money. Guys like Circle A who build both racing bikes and touring/commuter bikes will be happy to add all the fender and rack mounts you need. The only downside is that I would never leave it locked up. I'm not sure if your looking for a tourer or a commuter, but it would be a shame to dent a custom frame by locking it to a signpost. Lots of custom builders can also add rack & fender mounts to a steel frame.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I'll blow my own horn a bit and share some photos of a JK Cross bike I brought to NAHBS this past spring.

I mix 953, True Temper S3, and custom drawn to my specs Reynolds chain and seat stays to get the right blend of stiffness and light weight.

It's a fun bike even if I do say so myself. Thanks for looking.

Dave

·
Registered
238 Posts
The correct answer is most likely the one that I received when asking a similar question not too long ago...go with any of these custom builders and you cant go wrong. Go look at their websites select a few builders who you vibe with and give em a call to discuss what you want and what are looking for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lots of great suggestions here; appreciate all the input.

I'm in Ontario and around $1k for the frameset is my price range. Love that Marinoni Mike T, that's about what I have in mind. That's probably the best deal around for a custom frame eh?

I've been looking at the La Cruz for awhile. Not sure if I want to go with disc brakes and limit my wheel choice as I tend to swap wheels around a lot, but I do see the benefits.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts