Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
There are many steel frames out there. The one that fits you best is the one that's best for you.

Is your commute on dirt trails or pavement? If it's pavement, I can't see any reason to go with disc brakes - rim breaks are cheap and low maintenance which is what you want for a commuter.

For a commuter bike look for cheap, used, and beat up.

If you want to race it, get a second nicer and lighter set of wheels with better tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
laffeaux said:
For a commuter bike look for cheap, used, and beat up.
Kind of depends on your commute. I teach HS science and I bring my bike inside and park it in my lab's stockroom every day. So I can ride as nice of a bike as I want and never have to lock it. Here in Central Texas it rarely rains so my commuter bike stays pristine.

Of course if you are locking your commuter bike outside and in public then definitely don't ride something too flashy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
irongustavius said:
I have a Salsa la Cruz, can't speak highly enough of it. Discs, capable of some fairly rugged off-road touring, I use it for commuting but have never raced it.
Unfortunately, it appears Salsa discontinued the steel La Cruz with disc brake tabs. It's a shame, too. I always wanted one of those.

·
Registered
169 Posts
max hammer said:
I've got a LeMond Poprad, which I found on eBay. Some of those are set up for disc brakes.
There are 2009 Gary Fisher Presidios available on clearance. Same frame as the Poprad, but canti brakes, no disc option. Should be <$1300 for a name-brand steel bike (Ox Platinum, IIRC) with carbon fork, Rival shifty-bits, Avid brakes, and the usual assortment of Bontrager hard parts.

The 2010 Presidio has different geometry and sliding rear dropouts. It's an option, but the 2009 on clearance is a WAY better deal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Crack Monkey said:
There are 2009 Gary Fisher Presidios available on clearance. Same frame as the Poprad, but canti brakes, no disc option. Should be <$1300 for a name-brand steel bike (Ox Platinum, IIRC) with carbon fork, Rival shifty-bits, Avid brakes, and the usual assortment of Bontrager hard parts.

The 2010 Presidio has different geometry and sliding rear dropouts. It's an option, but the 2009 on clearance is a WAY better deal.
That presidio looks perfect. Now just have to find one in my size.
Thanks

·
9,925 Posts
For commuting, I'd go cheap. And Origin-8 has a new steel cross frame coming out soon (with disc mounts and 132.5mm rear spacing) that will be CHEAP.

http://origin-8.com/product_detail.php?short_code=Origin+8+CX700+Cross+frameset&cl1=FRAMES

Retail will be less than $200.00, I'm guessing. (I know what my cost is, but I don't know what shops are actually going to charge for it. I'll charge $189.99, probably.)

Latest reports say it will be available in June.

·
9,925 Posts
burgrat said:
PlatyPius, that Origin-8 looks pretty descent. What do you think of the quality?
They still haven't arrived on our shores yet. From my previous experience with Origin-8 frames though, I imagine they'll be pretty decent - about the same as a Soma frame; quality-wise.

·
lung lacking loser
270 Posts
weight

seat_boy said:
Keep in mind the Origin 8 frame is quite heavy (claimed 5.6 pounds for the smallest size) and only comes in a few sizes.
I saw that too, and was wondering if it is the weight for both frame and fork. A Cross Check in a roughly equivalent size is 4.45 lbs, and the fork is 2.19 (uncut- both weights from Surly's site). That's 1. lb more than the O8 weight, but the CC uses double butted vs. the triple butted tubes on the O8. I don't think that could save a pound over the Surly. Soma's double cross in a 54cm is quoted at 4.2 lbs, and the equivalent Surly is listed at 4.65. That's almost a 1/2lb difference.

If 5.6 lbs is frame and fork, I don't know where O8 would get the extra 1/2 lb from. The Surly fork is 990gms (per their site), so the O8 fork would have to be around 770 gms. That's pretty light for a steel fork. And considering O8's disc road fork is 1150 gms, I don't think they are making up the weight in the fork.

So maybe the frame is actually 5.6 lbs? Yeesh, that's 29'er type weight. I'm not a weight weenie, but even at ~$200 level, I would be hard pressed to consider the frame. If it's 5.6lb for both, and only $200 then I would be very tempted.

·
old school drop out
1,578 Posts
Have you considered looking for used frames? If you get a steel fork with a 1" steerer you'll save a lot of weight compared to a 1-1/8" fork.

You can find an older 90's or early 00's frame and fork which weighs less for probably not much more money.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.