Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just purchased a De Rosa Corum frameset, this is my first steel frame ever. It came with a nice carbon seatpost made by Selcof with a De Rosa logo.

I have two questions:

1. The inside of the seat tube has a bit of roughness, how best do I prepare?
2. What should I apply to the carbon post before inserting?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
The old 1:2

mriddle said:
I have two questions:

1. Probably no need to do anything
2. Grease is fine if the seat post doesn't slip. If the post slips with grease, you can get "assembly paste" that essentially is grease with a little grit in it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
never grease a carbon post! the petroleum might break down the resin. the 'carbon paste' is fine...non-petrol, intended for composites.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
As said.

mriddle said:
1.The inside of the seat tube has a bit of roughness, how best do I prepare?
2.What should I apply to the carbon post before inserting?
1. As said, no need to do anything to the inside of the seat tube. But to keep from scratching the seat post, run your finger around the top edge of the seat tube to see if there are any sharp edges or burrs that need to be smoothed.
2. Also as said, grease or so-called assembly paste. I've greased carbon components for years, never a problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
mriddle said:
Hello,

I just purchased a De Rosa Corum frameset, this is my first steel frame ever. It came with a nice carbon seatpost made by Selcof with a De Rosa logo.

I have two questions:

Thanks.
You can use synthetic grease found in bike shops without any problems. Zinn answered this question in his column at velonews.com a while back and I have not had any problems following his advice.::D

·
Registered
21,638 Posts
Dookie doodie

dookie said:
never grease a carbon post! the petroleum might break down the resin. the 'carbon paste' is fine...non-petrol, intended for composites.
This is just plain nonsense. There are carbon parts in derailleurs and shifters that are essentially immersed in grease/oil and they suffer no damage whatsoever. Epoxy is not troubled by petroleum grease. Don't repeat old wive's tales!

·
Registered
505 Posts
potty mouth!

i have wrenched for many years, though i no longer do...an 'old wife' perhaps. i have also seen more than one carbon post swollen and delaminated from prolonged exposure to 'grease' of some sort. what post / what pre-preg / what lube? got me...who tracks that stuff? are modern composites / lubes more compatible? perhaps.

were it my post/frame, i would absolutely use something designed for carbon applications and not just any ole' lard i had lying around. read the velonews tech stuff...zinn & calfee say 'no worries', easton/campy/deda say 'absolutely not'.

that said, do as you and mr. irony see fit. what's your favorite color?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts