Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
02 Lemond Zurich, 2nd owner

Basically a car pulled out in front of me at a stop sign, I swerved hard to avoid hitting them, lost balance and took a semi hard fall (knocked the wind out of me, bruised hip and shoulder). Got back home and checked the bike for damage. There is a crack on the chain stay running almost the length of the piece (about an inch from the crank to about half an inch from the cassette) on both sides. It's kind of like a long U. If you push on it it will flex a little but there is no complete break in the tube. Also noticed a small crack on the carbon fork near the bottom where the wheel attaches. Handle bar is also bent Took it out for a spin around the block a couple days later and all the components worked fine, but the back end felt real loose while riding.

Is it worth it to disassemble the bike and try and find a frame guy to fix it and check/adjust the alignment, or search around for a new frame and put my old components on it.

·
Registered
14,776 Posts
Don't ride it!

You certainly need to replace the fork, and the handlebar. A framemaker could tell you whether the frame is worth repairing (it would require at least replacement of the cracked tube).

In any event, whether you repair or replace, you should strip all the components. Take it to a bare frame, and figure out what to do next.

It ain't safe right now.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It kind of depends on how much you love your bike. I'm guessing a repair of the frame will run at least a few hundred (plus paint). Lemond frames have a somewhat unique geometry so if you love it, it may be worth the repair costs. If not, you can pick up a nice new steel frame like a Soma Smoothie for about $350

The fork is toast, replace it...cracked carbon is a time bomb

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to a LBS that deals Lemonds. I'm gonna disassemble it and send it to the Lemond factory for an estimate on repair and realignment. Worst case I'm out the cost of shipping and the cost of whatever new frame I'd choose. I'd like to get it repaired, I like the way it rides and finally felt like I had it micro adjusted just the way I liked it.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Did you get the license plate number? Did you call the police? I'd sure try and get the culprit and his/her insurance company to make me whole.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Isn't that a tig welded 853 frame?
Can tig welded frames be repaired easily?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.