Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is my first post, hello from Bucks County, Pa.
I was wondering if anyone ever had a steel bike built using the same geometry as their current carbon bike. I currently have a Trek Emonda and was looking into having a custom steel bike built by Curtlo. I always wanted a steel bike and I love the geometry of the Trek. So I though I would have one built using the same geometry.

Also, has anyone ever bought a Curtlo road bike? How is the build quality? Any suggestions on ordering?

Thanks for reading and your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Yes, I had a Carl Strong steel frame built for me in 2009 and we began the process by me sending him the geometry chart from the Fondriest Domino Plus I was riding and still ride. All we changed was the length of the head tube to fit the Chris King Inset headset I wanted him to use. Fits me perfectly.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,426 Posts
Unless the Carbon bike has some "weird" geometry, it should be easy.
What geometry does it have?...(you should be able to look up the exact geometry of the model and size you have)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had Doug build me a frame based on two bikes I liked and blended the geometries together, finding the middle ground. I got exactly what I was hoping for. Sweet bike. Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have a Curtlo Cross bike, built in 2004, its a nice bike, though it did take a bit of extra time from what was quoted. Doug who makes the frames is a cool guy, though not always the most responsive to emails or calls, also I'm not sure if he is still building or if he has retired, his website still says to wait for a update in 2014, so you should try to get ahold of him on the phone or through email, I'm sure he or many others can make a steel bike to similar geometry to your carbon bike.
There are other good well established steel bike builders to look into also, Carl Strong make a great bike though it will cost you, I have a Kelly SS cross bike(stock size) and he makes a great frame, in stock sizes for about $1,300 OX platinum tubing or $1,600 for true temper S3 tubing add about $300 for a custom, he also makes a great steel fork, I have one on my SS cross bike and he made me a rigid Mt bike fork which is really nice also, not sure what his lead time would be, but he is known to be responsive to calls and emails, I called about making a fork, and it took a couple times to get him to answer the phone, but he was moving to his new shop at the time, and the lead time on the fork wasn't too long, maybe a month, and was delivered on time. Kelly is out of N California. Paul Sandoff of Rock lobster also makes nice frames out of N California for under 2k. I just ordered a Gunnar Hyper X(disc cross bike) and frame is a good price, about $1,150 for frame(stock size), was able to order through a good local shop who is also putting together most of the build kit. I think there customs are about $300 extra from a stock size, and they are made by Waterford in Wisconson. Lead time for my stock size frame is 8 weeks, so should be delivered by a little after Thanksgiving.
A high quality steel frame is pretty awesome, and it's cool to have so many good choices, especially domestic made in the USA frames.
Adam

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Do you want the same geometry for fit reasons or for road feel reasons?
If for fit it's a no brainer/not problem getting the same geo built.
But if it's for road feel it's not that simple. Tubing selection makes a big different and what feels a certain way with the carbon you have now may require different geo in steel to duplicate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts