Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help a brotha out with a list of steel frames for under a grand. So far I am looking at:

Gunnar Roadie
Burley
Salsa La Raza
Kelly Bone Stock
Curtlo custom road

What else shoud I be looking at?

Thanks

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Steel Bikes

Steel Frames under a grand!
A couple of others
Ciocc COM 12.5
Coppi Neuron
Torelli Corsa Strada
Torelli Cortona
or
Moser M85 (with fork) $1125
Olmo Mercury (with fork) $1195
Serotta Fierte $1100


Hope this helps!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
brianvonlehe said:
go all the way
cinelli super corsa!

you mentioned curtlo. i know doug- go for it he is a very good guy and framebuilder.

Super Corsa is beautiful, a strong possibility for my own next frame...but it is over a grand. If the question were poised with some flexibility on top end price, the choices would be much greater. Orbea builds a outstanding steel bike with columbus spirit steel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
357 Posts
Are you absolutely opposed to used frames? Steel ages well, and you could certainly pick up a great vintage frame for under a grand.

New, the Gunnar Roadie looks like a good deal from a good builder. BikesDirect has a complete Reynolds 853/ultegra bike for not much more than that (not that good tubes necessarily make a good bike) I've not seen either of those in person. I'm loving my early 80's Trek though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,254 Posts
GVH Bikes has a number of steel frame/fork

listings for under $1,000. Viner Comptetition and Gary V look good to me. Many think the steel "Gary V" is actually a generic "Landshark" and, if not, it sure is a nice looking frame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
Some other ideas

Reparto Corse have a few great Italian steel framesets for around $1200 from Ciocc, Carerra and Olmo. Bullteksports also have a number of steel frames on clearance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
ditto, ditto, and I have a Gunnar...

I want to second checking out Reparto Course (including the "vintage bikes" section), and even more so GVH (I had a great experience there purchasing a Merckx MX Leader).

Having said that, I just got my Gunnar Roadie together and on the road, and it is a great bike. I put a Reynolds carbon fork on it and I am amazed at the balance (front-to-rear) in terms of ride and handling. I thought that the steel/CF fork would not match well, but I was wrong.

The Gunnar is a great all-around bike, in the literal sense. It has responsive handling, is fast, is stable at speed, and puts power down well. The beauty is that it has a surprisingly nice ride--the best of any bike I have or have ridden. From all of the bikes I have owned/own, the Gunnar would be the bike I would choose to do a century on. It has a better ride than my old Litespeed Classic, and for that matter, it does everything else better too.



mprevost said:
Help a brotha out with a list of steel frames for under a grand. So far I am looking at:
Gunnar Roadie
Burley
Salsa La Raza
Kelly Bone Stock
Curtlo custom road

What else shoud I be looking at?

Thanks

Mike
 

·
Lizzie will ride free
Joined
·
3,156 Posts
markymark2525 said:
Super Corsa is beautiful, a strong possibility for my own next frame...but it is over a grand. If the question were poised with some flexibility on top end price, the choices would be much greater. Orbea builds a outstanding steel bike with columbus spirit steel.
Here's your Cinelli for under 1k. Well, just barely under. :)

http://www.gvhbikes.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
thread drift, used bikes

as long as someone mentioned used bikes. i had a Fondriest X-status that rode great but was too big for me. I found it in the classifieds here (RBR). you should also check out craiglists in your area sometimes they come up. there is a small 50-52 Fondriest megachrome frame on eBay this week, would make a great fixie..... the Cinelli super corsa is under a grand at GVH bikes, winter sale. it's on my to have list also. Check out the other frames available at the GVH warehouse. he has Colnago Mxl's for $1500 a really excellent ride, my current favorite. the kelly bone stock is available on eBay, needs a fork.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gunnar

elvisVerde said:
I want to second checking out Reparto Course (including the "vintage bikes" section), and even more so GVH (I had a great experience there purchasing a Merckx MX Leader).

Having said that, I just got my Gunnar Roadie together and on the road, and it is a great bike. I put a Reynolds carbon fork on it and I am amazed at the balance (front-to-rear) in terms of ride and handling. I thought that the steel/CF fork would not match well, but I was wrong.

The Gunnar is a great all-around bike, in the literal sense. It has responsive handling, is fast, is stable at speed, and puts power down well. The beauty is that it has a surprisingly nice ride--the best of any bike I have or have ridden. From all of the bikes I have owned/own, the Gunnar would be the bike I would choose to do a century on. It has a better ride than my old Litespeed Classic, and for that matter, it does everything else better too.
I am leaning heavily towards this bike:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
806 Posts
mprevost said:
Help a brotha out with a list of steel frames for under a grand. So far I am looking at:

Gunnar Roadie
Burley
Salsa La Raza
Kelly Bone Stock
Curtlo custom road

What else shoud I be looking at?

Thanks

Mike
Kogswell Model P; Kogswell Model D (but you'd have to find one used); Surly Pacer; many things at GVHBikes. What specifically are you looking for?
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,421 Posts
If you weigh 150 or under, you could use just about any bike made. If you weigh 180 you probably need oversized tubes. If you are close to 200, you really need oversized tubes. The more you weigh, the higher quality, the tube set, needs to be.
You can't get higher quality than what's in the Gunnar. True Temper OX platinum is one of the strongest, lightest, tubesets around.
.
If you don't plan to ride over 20 mph, you can use "standard" size tubes without a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tubes

MR_GRUMPY said:
If you weigh 150 or under, you could use just about any bike made. If you weigh 180 you probably need oversized tubes. If you are close to 200, you really need oversized tubes. The more you weigh, the higher quality, the tube set, needs to be.
You can't get higher quality than what's in the Gunnar. True Temper OX platinum is one of the strongest, lightest, tubesets around.
.
If you don't plan to ride over 20 mph, you can use "standard" size tubes without a problem.
I weight around 180 and like to push big gears. I also plan on doing most of my riding at 20mph + (except for really long stuff). I'd like to take the bike into the mountains 2-3 times per month as well. I am looking hard at Reynolds 853 or True Temper OX Platinum. I am thinking either the Gunnar or the Salsa (don't care for the paint job on the IRD). I may also look at Lemond if I can test ride one locally. I am not sure about Lemond geometry.

Thanks

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looking for....

an all arounder... good for fast group rides, climbing but also comfortable for a century. Fairly stiff as I weigh 180ish.

Mike
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top