Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stripped my 05 631 bike down to rebuild. The only rust that I see is where the aluminum seatpost went in, even through the Parks grease. Other than that it looks pretty good in all the other areas where I can see.

Getting ready to put all the new goodies on it.

Is the Framesaver/Boeshield treatment a waste of time? Has anyone actually seen a steel frame fail from a little internal rust? Is it just a "fred" thing?

·
Inching to 1000 (again)
1,048 Posts
Highly unlikely that your frame will rust through. That said, however, I did coat mine after finding rust in the bottom bracket and seat tube. It’s not expensive or hard to do and won’t leave you wondering if you should have done it. I also drilled a small hold in my bottom bracket to let the water out.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
what is a fred thing? applying the framesaver? or thinking your frame will rust through and fail without it?

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
There's no consensus on this because there's no verification. If you use a spray and your frame doesn't rust, you tend to believe that it's because you used the spray. If you don't use a spray and your frame doesn't rust, you tend to believe frame sprays are all marketing hooey.

Conventional wisdom is that today's thin-walled steels need the stuff, while traditional steels did not—the idea being that new steels could rust through while you're still alive and kicking. In the end, it's like a few degrees of pedal float: since it can't hurt, just use it—needed or not.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
When you get caught out in that downpour, and you're riding through 2" deep water just trying to get to someplace to take cover, you'll be glad you protected your frame.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
jd3 said:
When you get caught out in that downpour, and you're riding through 2" deep water just trying to get to someplace to take cover, you'll be glad you protected your frame.
Add to that hauling your steel bike from an air-conditioned house into the summer heat and from the cold winter air into a heated house. The temperature change causes condensation to form on the inside walls the tubes, which turns into rust-generating water.

Actually, I'm being a bit facetious here. While this actually does happen, the amount of water created is so small that it doesn't matter. Someone actually ran a test on this in Germany. Perhaps I should write ad copy for FrameSaver® . . .? :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Make sure there is a drain hole at the lowest spot of the BB and use Framesaver and ride it for the rest of your life.

Framesaver flat out works and a drain hole lets any stand water out.

Enjoy the ride.

dave

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Cheap alternative

saddle tramp said:
Is the Framesaver/Boeshield treatment a waste of time? Has anyone actually seen a steel frame fail from a little internal rust? Is it just a "fred" thing?
All you need to do is shoot any aerosol oil down the tubes. TriFlow, WD40, or anything else you find at the hardware/automotive store. Any oil will coat the steel and protect it. Wim has given you the arguments, but it's SO easy to do and vitrually free unless you fall for the "magic potion" arguments.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
All you need to do is shoot any aerosol oil down the tubes.
I like CRC EngineStor® fogging fluid for marine engines. $ 3.99/13 oz. According to the literature, it has "outstanding penetration and creepability." How can you resist anything that has outstanding creepability? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts