Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an issue that I'd like to ask other rider's opinion on. I ride a Lemond Buenos Aries that I love. I also happen to live in SC and sweat like a hog. The perspiration comes off my head and drips onto my top tube, and has compromised the underneath guide for my rear brake cable. Bottom line is rust! What should I do? I'm guessing I need to remove the cable, file/sand down the rust, and then repaint? But it's such a tight area that I'm afraid my touch-up skills with a paintbrush will adversely affect my brake cable movement. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
file/sand down the rust, and then repaint

If you are talking about the brake cable housing stops, how can it affect the brake movement?

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Paint and rinse

demondeacon said:
I've got an issue that I'd like to ask other rider's opinion on. I ride a Lemond Buenos Aries that I love. I also happen to live in SC and sweat like a hog. The perspiration comes off my head and drips onto my top tube, and has compromised the underneath guide for my rear brake cable. Bottom line is rust! What should I do? I'm guessing I need to remove the cable, file/sand down the rust, and then repaint? But it's such a tight area that I'm afraid my touch-up skills with a paintbrush will adversely affect my brake cable movement. Any advice would be appreciated.
As the Grump said, sand it down and paint it. And when you get back from rides, splash your frame with the leftover water in your bottles to rinse off the salt.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Well,, you never truly cure rust, but sand it down as clean as absoultly possible, and use self etching primer. Then paint. A clear coat would be a nice bonus to.

Ya know, I think I saw somone have a thing, I think it was made form spandex with a rubberish backing, that attached to the seatpost, and then hooked to the bars to ceach sweat drips.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.