Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I pulled the trigger and finally got the new bike. It is a 1953 Roadmaster by the Chicago Welding Company, I am pretty sure it is the same group in Chicago that made the Schwinn Paramount. It is really a light bike. I can lift the seat with just one hand. I think I am going to cross post in weight weenies and see if they can figure out what wheelset I should put on to decrease my rolling resistence. I took it out for a spin and it is both vertically compliant and laterally stiff and climbs like a dream. What color bar tape should I put on it? Hey Dave, should I paint it red and white or white and red?:D



Now where did I put that sandblaster?:thumbsup:
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup, it is a cool bike. Love the center tank battery holder for the lights and horn. The horn still works!
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhh, one mans trash is another's treasure.
 

·
Banned forever.....or not
Joined
·
24,427 Posts
But, but, but..........that's a girl's bike.........

When I was a kid, I had a Schwinn cruiser with a horn in the tank, headlight, locking springer fork, rear rack, and a kickstand. It only weighed 92 pounds.
 

·
Grey Manrod
Joined
·
9,227 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
But, but, but..........that's a girl's bike.........

When I was a kid, I had a Schwinn cruiser with a horn in the tank, headlight, locking springer fork, rear rack, and a kickstand. It only weighed 92 pounds and had square wheels. I rode it to school, uphill both ways and in the snow.
FTFY.

:D
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MR_GRUMPY said:
But, but, but..........that's a girl's bike.........
It is not! IT is a compact frame with a sloping top tube! :D
 

·
Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
Joined
·
10,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GTDave said:
You need ceramic bearings
Do you think that will help with my average MPH? I am really hoping to get it up over 10 MPH.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,805 Posts
jupiterrn said:
Do you think that will help with my average MPH? I am really hoping to get it up over 10 MPH.
Only if you get a disc wheel, and aero helmet, you'll probably see an avg improvement of .3 to 57 %, depending on conditions.
 

·
waterproof*
Joined
·
41,611 Posts
1) seat's too high
2) flip it
3) why do I have to do all the work around here? huh? 14 posts and nobody can be bothered to say "seat's too high? WTF do I look like your maid?
 

·
Call me a Fred
Joined
·
16,999 Posts
The seat isn't level. Take it back.
 

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
Joined
·
6,976 Posts
Dude, that thing is awesome!! All it needs is a beer holder.

The coolest thing to do on those is to find a big hill to come bombing down and then stomp on coaster brake. I used to be a messenger at a blueprint shop in Portland and sometimes we would have to use the Schwinn Truck bike (26" wheel in back and 20" in front with the huge basket) to deliver these huge bundles of blueprints. You could wind that biyotch up coming down a hill and lay a skid mark about a half a block long. The sidewalks would be full of all the suit types and every head would snap around at the screech. It was awesome.
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
jupiterrn said:
So I pulled the trigger and finally got the new bike. It is a 1953 Roadmaster by the Chicago Welding Company, I am pretty sure it is the same group in Chicago that made the Schwinn Paramount. It is really a light bike. I can lift the seat with just one hand. I think I am going to cross post in weight weenies and see if they can figure out what wheelset I should put on to decrease my rolling resistence. I took it out for a spin and it is both vertically compliant and laterally stiff and climbs like a dream. What color bar tape should I put on it? Hey Dave, should I paint it red and white or white and red?:D



Now where did I put that sandblaster?:thumbsup:
sweet...just leave it rusty.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top