Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some wheels sitting around, and I'm looking for a steel road frame to build up with them. Something kind of speedy but oriented towards long rides, ideally in the sub-$1200 range. I'd probably spring for the Salsa Colossal if it wasn't disc-only. I have a Long Haul trucker (which I love) and like the looks of the Pacer, but since I have a little more to spend and wouldn't mind getting the weight down a bit. The Gunnar Roadie looks pretty sweet, but I wish it cleared 28s. A carbon fork option or frame-only option would be nice. What other frames should I consider?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have some wheels sitting around, and I'm looking for a steel road frame to build up with them. Something kind of speedy but oriented towards long rides, ideally in the sub-$1200 range. I'd probably spring for the Salsa Colossal if it wasn't disc-only. I have a Long Haul trucker (which I love) and like the looks of the Pacer, but since I have a little more to spend and wouldn't mind getting the weight down a bit. The Gunnar Roadie looks pretty sweet, but I wish it cleared 28s. A carbon fork option or frame-only option would be nice. What other frames should I consider?
You've just got to checkout SOMA below:

Road Frames

Also, checkout their Touring frames:

Cyclo-Cross & Touring Frames

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Gunnar Sport
Soma Smoothie, ES or Stanyan

I have a Gunnar Sport. It will easily handle 28 mm tires and probably would fit 32s. You can buy it with a steel or carbon fork. Very versatile frame with mounts for fenders and racks, and clearance for larger tires and fenders. It is very similar to the Roadie except slightly longer chain stays, mounts for attachments, clearance for larger tires, and uses medium-reach brakes.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The Traitor Exile could be pretty cool, though I agree with the recommendations of the Soma Smoothie or Gunnar Sport, in their respective price ranges.

The Salsa Vaya is a different beast (and disc only) but that is a very very fun bike considering what they can be purchased for used.

·
Registered
157 Posts
+1 on the Gunnar Sport. one of the reasons I got it was I wanted to run 28mm tires. I like feeling comfortable on pavement or crushed rocks paths, depending on how the spirit moves me that day.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You want to build up a new bike to use up your extra wheels? Careful, that's a slippery slope, been there myself a few times . . . "Hmmmm, I've still got that old derailleur, maybe I should build a new bike around it..."

Yup, I've been there!

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Have you considered looking on ebay for a mid to late 1990's steel frame by a classic brand like Eddy Merckx, Colnago, or Pinarello? I did this with a Merckx frame I found and I've been really happy with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just picked up a Breezer Venturi from Bikewagon.com for $599.

I hear it the lightest production steel road frame!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.