Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Wondering if I buy a steel frame road bike could I race it in cyclocross? Its a custom made bike that I know would preform well on the road but how would it be on the cross course. Thanks a ton in advance.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
the issue is not steel, you'll find plenty of cross checks at races every weekend... the issue is, does your custom have clearance for cx tires? pedal clearance might be another minor issue

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
Well i have this setup for light dry off-road use
have some 28 mm knobbies (vredestein) and they fit ok in the frame, plus get enugh traction and absorb shocks ok too. I suppose the frame / fork would get gunked up in real muddy cyclocross conditions (there are about 5 mm of vertical clearance, 3 mm lateral at the fork and about the same lateral + vertical clearance at the rear) The frame collected a lot of mud nicely during one trip in relatively muddy conditions, but that kind of trip will not happen again very soon.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
FatTireFred said:
the issue is, does your custom have clearance for cx tires? pedal clearance might be another minor issue
This!!!! It really depends on how big a tire the frame and fork will accommodate. I'd argue that unless you can fit at least a true 30mm (not in name) wide treaded tire in the frame, it isn't worth it. Ideally you'd want to go with 32-34mm tires. If that isn't the case, you'd be much better served on a rigid mtn bike with skinnier tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts