Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
kinda makes me wonder. I met a fixie rider today, he said steel makes a big difference..

I dont ride road. most of what i run has a suspension fork (although not good at all) or runs real low tire pressure..

so this leaves me to wonder.. I would like a nice looking bike.. should I try and find a bianchi pista?? I am about 6'3", can i get a nice one for under $470? or should I wait and get a Giant bowery (for $470)

Thea ideal of a used bike is getting more appealing, I just dont want to have to get a whole bunch of parts together or worrie about buying over the net..

what do you guys think?

· Registered
453 Posts
Ride both and see what you like. From what I've heard the Pista is a bit hardcore (in it's geometry I'd imagine) and the Giant seems to be dialed back a bit more on aggressiveness. This is opposite what you'd think from looking at their spec sheets (steel vs. aluminum). Ride them both and then choose, it can't hurt anything.

· Registered
202 Posts
steel is real

tamu said:
kinda makes me wonder. I met a fixie rider today, he said steel makes a big difference..
I have an aluminum and carbon road bike that with current components is a $2000 bike. I also have a Bianchi Pista with brake that is about $600. No $625. These are complete bikes. They have pumps, computers, cages, bottles, bags with tools and spare tubes. Which bike is more fun?

The Pista wins!!

TT

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, believe it or not, there arnt any bike shops around with a ss or fixed in stock..

They do have a medium bowery, but they said i would best fit an XL so i am not too sure of what kind of feel I would get on that..

I road a friends ss (Al) and a regular road bike (for a short bit) and they wernt bad..

I guess im just thinking, If I can get steel for cheaper, and its more comfortable.. will I regret buying a new bowery?

· Registered
1,006 Posts
In general, the consensus is that steel tends to ride a little smoother, while aluminum is a little stiffer. Stiffness is good for acceleration and climbing, and aluminum frames are often a little lighter. Personally, I'll take a small weight penalty and a slightly more flexy frame to get the smooth, comfortable ride qualities of steel.

I've owned a Pista and loved it, but the truth is, it's a track bike. To me, that meant less comfort on long rides; not because the steel frame wasn't doing its job, but because the rear wheel is tucked up right underneath you and the steep seat tube tends to pitch you a little more "forward." AT least it did with me.

But keep in mind that the two bikes you're considering are not your only options. Check out IRObikes.com for some reasonably-priced steel and aluminum models; Raleigh's Rush Hour retails for less than $600, and the Redline 9-2-5 for less than $500. Used fixies are always a better deal, but finding one in your size is, to me, more crucial than saving $100, and might prove to be difficult.

Best of luck!

· Registered
1,006 Posts
tamu said:
well, believe it or not, there arnt any bike shops around with a ss or fixed in stock..
TAMU,
If you're willing to make the drive to Austin, I'd be willing to bet that Ozone Bikes on Guadalupe has a Pista (and a San Jose) in stock. The Bicycle Sport Shop on South Lamar might have a Bowery; also check 360 Cycles or Freewheelin'. As big as the fixie scene has gotten around here, I would think that you could get a couple of test rides if you made a couple of preliminary calls, just to see what's in stock.

Joe

· Registered
202 Posts
how steep is it?

Which bike would I ride on a century? If it is relatively flat ( less than 4000 feet of climb) I would ride the Pista.

TT

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hmm, 2000$ road bike or a fixie.. the real question is:

would you rather ride the pista because its steel, or because its a fixie?

relistically, it will be very hard to find something used my size..

so the choice is this, giant bowery, 470$, sell one of the brakes on ebay and save like 30$ more..

or buy a IRO/pista and spend like 100$ more, and buy a brake from someone on ebay for 30$

if the bowery has the regular sized seat tube as most of their bikes, I got a "suspension" seat post..

is aluminum really much more bone jaring than steel? I am thinking I should just go with it..

· Registered
173 Posts
the bowery looks like the same geometry as a tcr, and infact i wouldnt be surprised if it was a tcr frame with track fork ends at the back...

in which case if it is, then it will ride pretty stiff when compared to the pista. but i love the way the tcr handles, and i think you will enjoy it too.

my beater bike is full aluminum, and as jarring as it is, i dont find that it's unbearable. i've ridden it upwards of 100km on a single ride and had no issues. what's most important with these bikes is tires. getting a nice set of tires makes a tremendous difference in ride quality. i put on conti gp4000's on the beater and it was like it was a different bike...

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
Honestly if this is going to be your first road bike I doubt you'll feel a huge difference but you have two seperate factors to consider as other posters have pointed out:

1. Geometry: the Pista has track geometry which means the angles are steeper which will effect the feel of the bike as much as frame material in some cases. The bowery has road geometry which is more relaxes than track geo and may feel better over longer distances and not have the quick handling of a true track frame.

2. Frame material: this is one of those constantly debated topics that no one ever wins. Yes steel can flex, yes aluminum can be stiff but neither is a stead fast rule or absolute. Run a search and you'll learn the + and - of each.

Also note that the Bowery comes with brakes stock while the Pista does not so that will add to the final cost of a Pista... I suggest having a brake on during the learning process... afterwards that's up to you, I'll spare the usual blue faced lecturing on that topic.

· Registered
8 Posts
I was having a hard time with this too, I was between the Raleigh Rush Hour, Bianchi Pista and Giant Bowery. I have decided on the Bowery, and after boroef pointed out that they have the same geometry as the TCR, its set in stone. The TCR is an amazingly fun bike, it handles increadibly well and puts power down easy. The only difference I saw was the TCR has slightly longer chain stays.
I went with the Bowery, not only because of that, but because it comes with brakes, and the Pista is not made of very good quality steel, and heavy. The Bowery won my vote over the Rush Hour because of the Rushs super stiff fork, and bad looks (I think the bowery is a pretty hot looking bike, at least in the picture).
Hope this helps,
Nate

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, i have had more than a few incidents of my LBS being clueless..

I am getting it in my hometown, kingwood, called them up and said the lbs gave me 30$ off, could the match it.. they said yes..

i am 6' 2-3", the bike shop here said i should get an XL and i asked if i could try one out and they glanced at me on one and said yea, it almost looks too small (im like 180lb) so i duno.. :rolleyes:

you guys think i should get an XL? i was thinking friday i could convince my gf to help me measure... to be sure:D

so i gotta call like friday and put a deposit down, even though it will be like 7 weeks til they can get it in (unless i wanna pay shipping to have it sent seperately from CA or something)

· Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
You might be near the cusp of the L / XL frames depending on your inseam. Read up on road bike sizing (start here or here) and you'll have a better idea of what you want. According to the Bowery page on the Giant site the frame uses the same compact sizing as the road frames (TCR?) so if they have a similarly sized road bike take that out and see how it feels.

· Registered
80 Posts
I wouldn't rule out a Langster

I bought a Langster for $500 last month. It is aluminum and comes as a complete bike with front and rear brakes. It is an extremely fast and stiff bike that is fun to ride. However, I would never ride it more than 50 miles at a time. IMHO for $500, you can't go wrong.

· Registered
161 Posts
DoubleTap said:
Which bike is more fun?

The Pista wins!!

TT
I totally agree. I've got a great roadbike (kestrel) which I love but I hardly ever ride it unless I'm hitting the big hills. My Bianchi Pista rules!!!

Although I just picked up a used Cafee pista frame that I'm building up! These fixies are fun.

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
5 psi in the tires will make a bigger difference than the frame material.

The big deal for me would be just finding a frame that fits you in stock. You are unlikely to go wrong with either bike so buy the first one that you can get that fits.

That way your fun will start sooner instead of waiting for some imagined difference that frame material may make.

· n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Absolutely! Get a bike that will comfortably fit 28c tires, pump them up to, say, 85-90 lbs and whatever frame you choose will ride like a dream. Just do it sooner than later and make sure it fits. Don't fret over frame material.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.