Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given the angles of both are similar, is there any perceivable ride difference between the two materials? Is one more lively than the other, or more comfortable. Or are they about the same?

Thanks.

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
Well can you tell the difference between aluminum and steel?

Really? Well then... Apples and Oranges.

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
With the proper selection of mixed and matched tubes (material, wall thickness, diameter) by an experienced framebuilder, either steel or Ti can be built to provide the kind of ride you tell him/her you want.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
dd74 said:
Given the angles of both are similar, is there any perceivable ride difference between the two materials? Is one more lively than the other, or more comfortable. Or are they about the same?

Thanks.
you don't need to paint TI, so there's that...

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a Moots cross bike that I ride on the road and a Strong road bike. To me they are very similar. I love the fact that I don't have to worry about the ti bike when the weather is crap.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 1991 Paramount w/ campy 10 that i ride in all sorts of weather including rain. A little framesaver and grease in the right spots and its worry free

·
your god hates me
1,551 Posts
Scooper said:
You don't have to worry about XCr or 953 steel bikes when the weather is crap, either. No Framesaver required.
Someone on one of these here cycling forums (perhaps this very one?) once pointed out that "stainless" steel does exactly that: it stains less than ordinary steel. It's not stain-proof, it's stain-less. So Framesaver (and prudent care after wet weather riding) is still recommended w/ a 953 frame.

I dunno, sounded plausible to me...

·
Decrepit Member
1,811 Posts
Bob Ross said:
Someone on one of these here cycling forums (perhaps this very one?) once pointed out that "stainless" steel does exactly that: it stains less than ordinary steel. It's not stain-proof, it's stain-less. So Framesaver (and prudent care after wet weather riding) is still recommended w/ a 953 frame.

I dunno, sounded plausible to me...
In over two years riding an unpainted 953 frame, sweating on it and often riding in the rain, I have yet to experience any staining. The Reynolds 953 FAQ for framebuilders says this about staining:

"In normal use, brown staining of the surface does occur due to sweat, salty road, etc., if not protected/painted. The staining can be removed with 'scotch-brite' or an equivalent, and trials have shown that this is a superficial stain that does not weaken the tubes. We have successfully tried domestic cleaners used on stainless steel sinks, which also clean off these stains - a tip for your customers when using the frames."

I've never seen Frame Saver or any other rust inhibitor product recommended for 953 frames.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts