Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone riding a newer steel frame outthere like the lemond? i'm curious to know what the thoughts are i am loooking at buying one. i know khs used to have a sub 20 pound steel bike, any others out there that are in the realm of affordability? thanks.

· Registered
86 Posts
Lemonds are great bikes, my brother and father both ride one and I used to ride one. Awesome steel bikes for price, you just can't beat them IMO. I currently ride a Gunnar Roadie that I absolutely love. The fit is just perfect for me and the ride is wondefull. It's a sub 19lb steel bike too which I really like. They aren't too expensive either, though not quite the killer deal that the Lemonds are.

· Registered
453 Posts
I'm riding an '04 Bianchi Imola right now. It's just under 20 lbs (w/o full water bottles) and it's a buttery-smooth steel bike with 105 components. I got it from a friend of mine for $800 but they retail for ~$1500 and I've been nothing but elated with it.

· Registered
1,085 Posts
brad nicholson said:
Anyone riding a newer steel frame outthere like the lemond? i'm curious to know what the thoughts are i am loooking at buying one. i know khs used to have a sub 20 pound steel bike, any others out there that are in the realm of affordability? thanks.
If you're going steel, go custom. I've got a nice, super-OS lugged steel frame in the works, and I anticipate it to be lighter than my current Ti frame. ...But it's going to have a matching steel fork, and that's going to throw things off for sure.

To answer your question, you can't really go wrong with any of the new steels. Steel is getting much, much better, and very light, depending on how much you want to spend. Life, S3, etc, will all go a long way to building a 3.2-3.6 lb frame, depending on your size, maybe even lighter. Good luck - S.

· Registered
6,326 Posts
under 20lbs

brad nicholson said:
I don't think its too hard to get under 20 lbs if you are in the smaller sizes even without going to super-hi-end steel or going stupid-light on the componnets

· Registered
1,599 Posts
SDizzle said:
If you're going steel, go custom. I've got a nice, super-OS lugged steel frame in the works, and I anticipate it to be lighter than my current Ti frame. ...But it's going to have a matching steel fork, and that's going to throw things off for sure.

To answer your question, you can't really go wrong with any of the new steels. Steel is getting much, much better, and very light, depending on how much you want to spend. Life, S3, etc, will all go a long way to building a 3.2-3.6 lb frame, depending on your size, maybe even lighter. Good luck - S.
You have a titanium (light) frame and you chose steel? What are the benefits over titanium?

· Registered
228 Posts
DaveG said:
I don't think its too hard to get under 20 lbs if you are in the smaller sizes even without going to super-hi-end steel or going stupid-light on the componnets
As an exercise, I built up a Heron Road with fairly normal parts (nothing I would call stupid-light) to see how light I could go. It was just over 17 pounds with pedals. This is a lugged, steel frame with fairly stout tubing. No trick lightweight tubes or anything. It did, however, have a carbon fork rather than the stock steel fork.

Look at it this way, if the pros ride 15-pound bikes that have 2-pound frames, you can put the same parts on a 4-pound steel frame and get a 17-pound bike.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
But, for a 180 pound rider, those two pounds will make you so much faster..............
(I know some people who actually believe that)
If I have nice light "race wheels" on, I'll take a 20 pound steel bike over a 15 pound "wonder bike", anyday.

· Old, slow, and fat.
3,897 Posts
Put some Ritchey wheels on my Crosshairs and rode it in to work today.

The S-Works is about to go up for sale...

The Crosshairs is not quite as light (with XTR) as the S-Works, but except for a different feel standing and sprinting, it rides VERY nicely. I may go to 42cm bars (from 44) and D/A shifters (from Ultegra) but that's about it. I'm gonna go to a 50t ring (from 44-46t) for the racing I'm hoping to be doing before 'cross season starts.

I really like the way a good steel bike rides. Nothing quite like it.

M

· Registered
2,643 Posts
Yup, me too. I

There is probably no basis in physics, but I find riding an ultra-light bike feels a lot like trying to throw a ping-pong ball a long distance. I can get the bike up to speed quickly and easily, but just don't feel like I can keep it there.

· Registered
125 Posts
Full ultegra build kit (pulled off a Leader frame)
Velomax Circuit Wheels
Gommitalia Calypso K tires
Bontrager Handlebars
Salsa CroMo stem
Leader carbon seatpost (soon to be replaced)
Specialized Avatar Saddle (replaced with Selle Italia Flite)

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i really liked the jamis. i just sold it via ebay. it was a great commuter and a good tourer. i bought a trek 520 because i wanted a more dedicated touring bike.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.