Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know what it is? Or a good way to find it? I did some googling but didn't really find anything useful.

·
pass the hot sauce
196 Posts
I would bet the steepest is either SW College ST or NW Brynwood LN (each has nice stretches over 20%), but can't offer any kind of definitive answer. I'd suggest the best way to find out is to head out on this ride in a couple weeks. Experience the route, ask the riders.... it will take you over some of the most obnoxious terrain that Portland has to offer. Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would also add Miller (the section prior to connecting to Thompson) and Devoto up to Skyline; both are steep and sustained.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hah, wow. Just checked that out on the google streetview thing. Judging by the angle between the houses/trees/fence posts and the street, it looks pretty intense.

·
Registered
19,389 Posts
I've ridden them all...

nwroadie said:
I would also add Miller (the section prior to connecting to Thompson) and Devoto up to Skyline; both are steep and sustained.
and they're all equally painful..but only a few blocks long....
from my friends at the water bureau, they say College is the steepest.......but I have friends who ride who swear its Brynewood, hands down. I'd trust them more...

·
Moderatus Puisne
15,886 Posts
Absolutely. Brynwood is RIDICULOUS.

If it is wet out, don't expect to get up it with most road gearing.

In 39 x 25 I can barely climb the thing seated.

Some suggest that College might have a portion that's technically steeper but that might be a foot or two.

Brynwood is far harder.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Argentius said:
Absolutely. Brynwood is RIDICULOUS.

If it is wet out, don't expect to get up it with most road gearing.

In 39 x 25 I can barely climb the thing seated.

Some suggest that College might have a portion that's technically steeper but that might be a foot or two.

Brynwood is far harder.
I've done College a few times and there are some short really steep sections that I just could not do seated or I was going to pop a wheelie in my 39x23. However there are little driveways that you can pull into to catch your breath.

DeVoto is also a stand only for me and it goes through a psuedo suburb back up to Skyline.

I have never done Brynwood but I will for the first time this Saturday! Seems like there will be a few opportunities to do pull outs to catch your breath. I think its definitely going to be hard as it is only April and not July!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.