Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rode bikes and corss bikes have carbon steer tubes. I keep it the headsets adjusted properly since hate any kind of wiggle in there.

Here's my question:
Occasionally when I hit a pothole I hear a 'crack' or 'snap' or 'pop' in my steer tube area. In the old days when it would happen, I would panic and check the bike immediately.

Now, I just ignore it and keep riding. But then I got to thinking, 'why not ask the forum'?

What's going on here? Do I have an issue I can fix or is that just how it is?

fc

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
I've had it happen when hitting dirt holes/potholes (steel cx frame and steerer, king hs) w/ the same reaction, check over then ignore. been discussed/mentioned here recently (do a search! lol), not sure there is any fix

·
Registered
482 Posts
While I'm convinced that it comes from the steerer tube area, several shop mechanics tell me that it's chain slap or other loose things hitting the frame.

·
Registered
21,579 Posts
Headset adjustment

francois said:
My rode bikes and corss bikes have carbon steer tubes. I keep it the headsets adjusted properly since hate any kind of wiggle in there.

Here's my question:
Occasionally when I hit a pothole I hear a 'crack' or 'snap' or 'pop' in my steer tube area. In the old days when it would happen, I would panic and check the bike immediately.

Now, I just ignore it and keep riding. But then I got to thinking, 'why not ask the forum'?

What's going on here? Do I have an issue I can fix or is that just how it is?
Typically this means the headset is not tight enough. It could be that your head tube is slightly ovalized (no fix possible) or that your headset was not assembled properly (missing spacers, parts in wrong order, etc.) First thing to try is to tighten the HS slightly.

·
Is it the future yet?
1,978 Posts
I had this happening alot on my bike. I took it in and had the headset disassembled and fork pulled and inspected. My mech. realized everything needed to be tighter. It really helped and only happens if I hit a big hole, etc...

·
More Miles...
289 Posts
Snap ,Crackle ,Pop at headset !

I've had the same problem and, on my bike, I've decided it is the cable ends moving in their recesses at the head tube . I havent lubed them yet to see if the clicking stops .

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
LMWEL said:
I've had the same problem and, on my bike, I've decided it is the cable ends moving in their recesses at the head tube . I havent lubed them yet to see if the clicking stops .
I have the same noise from the cable ends, but it only happens when I'm standing.

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, nothing yet. I'm pretty sure it's not an adjustment issue. It has happened to several bikes here in the stable and I think all have carbon steer tubes. These bikes have otherwise perfectly operating headsets.

My suspicion is the steer flexes enough during high impact that it slaps the middle of the head top. It sounds like a small firecracker sometimes.

fc

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
francois said:
Hmm, nothing yet. I'm pretty sure it's not an adjustment issue. It has happened to several bikes here in the stable and I think all have carbon steer tubes. These bikes have otherwise perfectly operating headsets.

My suspicion is the steer flexes enough during high impact that it slaps the middle of the head top. It sounds like a small firecracker sometimes.

fc

agree that it's not an adjustment thing... but, steerer tube slapping the middle of the head tube??? nawwww. would alu/steel steerers do that too?

·
Roadbikereview Editor
Steelman Eurocross bike
2,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FatTireFred said:
agree that it's not an adjustment thing... but, steerer tube slapping the middle of the head tube??? nawwww. would alu/steel steerers do that too?
That's my winning theory right now... which doesn't mean much.

fc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts