Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a Thomson Elite X2 stem to try out ( http://www.lhthomson.com/elite_x2.htm ), and while it's obvious now, I didn't realize this would happen just by looking at its picture. My ugly, unfinished aluminum steerer tube shows right through the voids in the side of the tube clamp on the stem. I guess they were assuming I'd have a pretty carbon steerer. Anyway, any good solutions to this? Electrical tape, magic marker?

Thanks.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
Add some splash and paint the top of the steerer the same color as the frame....I've done it....

Yup...I've done the same. Or go stealth and paint it the same color as the stem.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Find some stickers or decals with an interesting logo of the right size and shape and stick them on the steerer to show through the windows. Eons ago we used to put banana stickers on our stems, maybe you could start a similar tradition.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
psycleridr said:
Have you tried riding it instead of looking at it?
:D
Yeah, and I'm actually quite pleased. But, I failed to mention that someone wrote the number "8" with a sharpie on one of the sides of the steerer tube - not sure why. Anyway, it's overtly ugly.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave Hickey said:
Add some splash and paint the top of the steerer the same color as the frame....I've done it....
Any recommendations on the type of paint? I imagine it will be some sort of brush-on paint from a hobby store.

·
Resident Dutchbag
11,864 Posts
I spray painted the steerer tube matte black, doesn't look too bad with the anodized stem.

·
Never Give Up!
1,240 Posts
MY 3T stem is the same way...I used a black magic marker. You can't even notice it now

1 - 12 of 12 Posts