Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So he tests positive for CERA at the TDF and at the Olympics. I was wondering if this is considered two separate violations, which could mean a suspension of 8 years to life. I'm not 100% sure, but the answer could be surprising. Here are the UCI rules:

Additional Rules for Certain Potential Multiple Violations

309. For purposes of imposing sanctions under articles 306 to 308, an anti-doping rule violation will only be considered a second violation if it is established that the License-Holder committed the second antidoping rule violation after he received notice pursuant to Chapter VII (Results Management), or after the UCI or the National Federation made reasonable efforts to give notice, of the first anti-doping rule violation. If the UCI or the National Federation cannot establish this, the violations shall be considered together as one single first violation, and the sanction imposed shall be based on the violation that carries the more severe sanction. However, the occurrence of multiple violations may be considered as a factor in determining Aggravating Circumstances (article 305).

310. If, after the resolution of a first anti-doping rule violation, facts are discovered involving an anti-doping rule violation by the License-Holder which occurred prior to notification regarding the first violation, then an additional sanction shall be imposed based on the sanction that could have been imposed if the two violations would have been adjudicated at the same time. Results in all Competitions dating back to the earlier anti-doping rule violation will be Disqualified as provided in article 313. To avoid the possibility of a finding of Aggravating Circumstances (article 305) on account of the earlier-in-time but later-discovered violation, the License-Holder must voluntarily admit the earlier anti-doping rule violation on a timely basis after notice of the violation for which he is first charged. The same rule shall also apply when facts are discovered involving another prior violation after the resolution of a second anti-doping rule violation.

311. Where a Rider, based on the same Testing, is found to have committed an anti-doping rule violation involving both a Specified Substance and another Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method, the Rider shall be considered to have committed a single anti-doping rule violation, but the sanction imposed shall be based on the Prohibited Substance or Prohibited Method that carries the most severe sanction. This will not preclude the presence of multiple Prohibited Substances and/or Prohibited Methods to be considered as a factor in determining Aggravating Circumstances (article 305).
He was notified of his TDF positive on October 6, 2008, which was after the Olympics. The way I read the rules, because notification of the first violation occurred after the Olympics, the two separate viloations are either considered one violation, or are treated as if the two violations were adjudicated at the same time. Either way, that means a much lesser sentence is imposed.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Well his lawyer seems to be saying that he wants it to be considered two detections of the same doping event. Of course what's problematic is Schumacher is still claiming he didn't dope. Technically I wouldn't be surprised if they can tell by the amount of CERA detected if it were indeed one doping event they're detecting or if Shumi "freshened" up at some point after his TdF tests (didn't he have multiple positives?).

·
Registered
222 Posts
That guy has gotten off the hook on enough occasions other than the TdF/Olympics positives that I really hope that they are able to throw the book at him. I can't work out how he didn't get any jail time for the drunken driving/leaving the scene of an accident post-Worlds considering that euro drinking and driving laws are rather severe. This guy is really starting to annoy me (again).

G

·
Dwayne Barry said:
Well his lawyer seems to be saying that he wants it to be considered two detections of the same doping event. Of course what's problematic is Schumacher is still claiming he didn't dope. Technically I wouldn't be surprised if they can tell by the amount of CERA detected if it were indeed one doping event they're detecting or if Shumi "freshened" up at some point after his TdF tests (didn't he have multiple positives?).
Amazing strategy, I find it hilarious that they guy's lawyer is using his two previous CERA positives, that he is currently appealing and continuing to deny, as part of a defense for a third positive.

It sounds like "I didn't do it, I swear, but if I did it the third time it was part of when I didn't do it before".

Maybe he's still struggling with diarrhea.

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
buh-bye

I think that it's about time for the UCI to actually do something useful and implement a lifetime ban to Herr Schumacher. :thumbsup:

G

·
piano said:
I think that it's about time for the UCI to actually do something useful and implement a lifetime ban to Herr Schumacher. :thumbsup:

You don't believe in 6th chances? Pessimist.:D

·
LA CHEVRE
2,475 Posts
What I wonder is, whatever he gets out of it, will there be teams wanting to hire him after? If I was a sponsor, he's the last rider I would want to be associated with, I'd hire Ricco before him...

·
Registered
501 Posts
piano said:
I agree, its ridiculous that after all he has done in the past he continues to deny this. BTW what do these athletes get by challenging this? TH and and Floyd fight tooth and nail and they get suspended anyway. Why not just let it go and start up again, Basso was barely gone. But Schumi should be banned into retirement.

·
likes to eat donuts
827 Posts
There's always Rock Racing. Well, for at least the rest of the year, anyhow (maybe) :)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
according the rules you cannot leave the line of sight of the person taking your samples either, so i wouldnt get too caught up in the rules as they are not really enforced by anyone (especially if you give them half a million dollars, i wonder if stefan has any money?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts