Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get the feel of my stem length right and ask: For stability and handling, like when descending, is it better to have the stem a "little short" or a "little long"?? I feel like it is 100 or 110 stem, almost a toss-up with the seat not being adjusted between the two.

Clearly the shorter stem might let me lower it sooner as I get fitter, but right now I'm trying to get the bike to handle well and get more aero as I go along. On different threads, people talk about lowering the stem over time, but I don't see anyone talk about changing stem length. To me, it seems they are sort of two ways to the same end.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
Well, it should be like Goldielocks... just right. But a slightly longer stem will be slightly slower steering. If you are a new rider nervous about stability, it may feel less twitchy. But it is a modest matter of degree, particularly between 100 and 110, neither of which is very long.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Forgot to say: I can see the hub

I forgot to mention that with both these stems, I can see the hub behind the bar, when I'm over the hoods fully or in the drops. very close with the 100 stem, for sure with the 110.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,746 Posts
msohio said:
I forgot to mention that with both these stems, I can see the hub behind the bar, when I'm over the hoods fully or in the drops. very close with the 100 stem, for sure with the 110.

Well, rules of thumb are generalizations, but the rule of thumb would indicate that both stems are a little long for you, which then raises the question of whether your bike is a bit too big. Under those circumstances, at a minimum, you should probably go with the 100.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would have to say neither. The function of your stem should be in relation to how it fits you and how you feel. Having the wrong stem will just lead to neck and shoulder pains.

In general it's true that a longer stem will make the steering less twitchy, but your comfort should be of paramount concern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts