Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
cush45 said:
Do you guys always use a torque wrench when you swap out a threadless stem? Does it matter more on carbon parts?

Thanks for the help.
I do, because I have one (a torque wrench). Before I got the torque wrench, I just tightened it, carefully and no more than it took to work. You just need to have a little "touch" and discipline. I have however stripped an alloy stem by over tightening. Tighten just enough to hold without slipping and you'll be fine. Be a litle careful and give the handlebars a good test - as if you're going over bumps - to make sure it doesn't slip. If it slips a little, tighten a little more but don't over do it.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
no torque wrench...

If you;re clules when it comes to appropriate bolt torque, I could see using one and then feeling the tightness with a short handled or Y-style hex wrench. Once you learn what's appropriate, you should need it. If you become too dependent on the torque wrench, how will you make adjustments out on the road?

Anyone who manages to strip threads either got a defective product, or they are really cluless about torque. It should take a ridiculous amount of tightening to strip an M5 or M6 thread - probably twice the common 5-9Nm range.

·
Registered
416 Posts
C-40 said:
Anyone who manages to strip threads either got a defective product, or they are really cluless about torque. It should take a ridiculous amount of tightening to strip an M5 or M6 thread - probably twice the common 5-9Nm range.
It's pretty easy to strip aluminum threads with a Y hex wrench unless of course you have very little wrist strength. And, the only way to get to know relative torque values is to USE a torque wrench regularly. You don't become too dependent, you become knowledgeable. To think that anyone can just "know" relative torque values with no basis is ridiculous.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.