Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all.

Im having a carbon steerer with 15mm+20mm spacers below the stem and thats the lowest height i can get,without cutting the steerer due the limited height of the expander bolt.
But i want to lower the stem at least 10mm more.

I went to an LBS here, asked for a longer expander bolt (bung) but they didnt have any longer than mine

He told me also that i can lower the stem without any problems,they do it all the time on their bikes with no issues.

I told him about cannondale's specs "to put the bang at the same height as the stems,and at the top position of the steerer",and he said that all companies say that.

Whats your opinion?Is it that crucial?I dont want to risk any damage of course.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I am sorry, but given your description, I have no idea what the problem is supposed to be. What does the stem position have to do with anything?

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
Turn the 20 into 2 tens and put a 15 and a 10 below and a 10 above the stem.

Or just go to a hardware store and see if they have a bolt what is long enough to use.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have the LBS cut the top of the steerer tube. Then you can lower the expander bolt. I would not go with more than about 1.5 cm of spacers above the stem anyway.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry english arent my native language..

My expander is an orbea orca's stock,an FSA with an aluminum sleeve.So i cant put a longer screw as other bikes have...

prety much something like this https://fcdn.roadbikereview.com/att...-supersix-5-cannondalestempic_zps9aa5a082.jpg

As the diagram says,it must be behind the lower stem bolt to support it.
If i remove the spacer,the lower stem bolt will be unsupported and here the lbs said it is ok.I explained him this picture,and seemed he was aware of the specs etc,but cant trust that opinion.This fork costs around 400€ to experiment..
On the other hand carbon seatposts for example bear much more weight,have no bungs,and are thinner walled than steerers.

Of course i dont want to cut it cause i may sell it in the future.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
OP has a Cannondale, or something similar.

Cannondale use a tight fitting top cap that has a shoulder, so it cannot be lowered into the steerer.

Cannondale says "no spacers above stem" because they want the top cap to be behind the stem as it is tightened.

My suggestion to OP is that you can temporarily ride with spacers above while you sort out your position, but get the steerer cut per instructions.

·
Registered
8,799 Posts
Why can't you get an expander bolt that's longer than the one that is being used by the same amount as the spacer that you put above the stem? A 10mm longer expander bolt to be used with a 10mm shim above the stem. 5mm longer for a 5mm stem. Match whatever you need to use.

If the expander needs to be snug up against the top cap you can match the added length a shim of some sort. Maybe a stack of washers or a piece of copper tubing with a washer at each end or what ever you can make work.

The expander bolt would go through the top cap then whatever shim you use and into the expander. This would allow you to use the spacer above the stem while keeping the expander in its optimal position.

This should work and it would be out of sight out of mind.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
If you want to retain the spacer stack above the stem, your only choice is to get a longer 5mm bolt. I'm guessing you're not in the U.S. due to the language issue, but McMaster-Carr has 5mm bolts in lengths up to 80mm, plenty long for your application.
Perhaps you have suppliers or a hardware store near you that can do the same.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
switcing to another bung seems the only option.FSA current one is a two piece tube made like male-female threaded unlike the majority of the other type of the through hole 5mm bolt.
meanwhile and another lbs told me the same that i can lower it temporarily until i cut it permanently.But i have to confess having more than 10mm spacers above the stem is pretty ugly and awkward.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.