Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently my riding position is more upright than I would like. I find myself always bending my arms and leaning down to be more aero and comfortable. Id like to flip my stem from pointing up to pointing down to drop my bars a bit.

Flipping the stem will obviously lower the bars and shorten the distance the cables need to travel. Am I going to need to shorten the cables, cable guides, or readjust anything at all? My wrenching skills aren't very good. I'm hoping I can just flip the stem without having to readjust the cables, cable guides, or derailleurs. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance..

Here is a pic of my setup:

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
ClassicSteel71 said:
You shouldn't have to. You don't look overslacked. It would be a bigger issue going the other way. Only one way to tell and thats do it and see it your shifting is affected.
+1....a little sag isn't going to hurt....As classicsteel said, the problem is usually the other way...

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
At that stem angle, it'd be a very big drop. If you find yourself riding in the drops all the time, then it's probably OK. If you find yourself in the hoods most of the time, try putting the stem under the headset spacers first. It'll be less of a drop, and a way to tell if you still want to go further.

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
Cabling will not be a problem. There's virtually no slack now and the little bit of slack created by inverting the stem will not create too much. However, as Peanya suggested, I'd start by removing some spacers and see how you like it. If you get to the bottom and still want more drop then put some spacers back and flip the stem. If you still want more then take out some spacers. Hard to tell exactly how much drop you already have but it's not like your bars are level with your saddle. Experiment and find what's comfortable. Lukily no one has commented on your up sloping stem and number of spacers yet. If they do, ignore them. :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flipped the Stem!

Thanks for the advice and information guys! I ride in the drops 95% of the time. With that steep stem angle and the stem flipped up Im almost sitting vertical if I ride on the hoods.

I went ahead and flipped the stem and took it on a short test ride during my lunch hour (Im at work, notice the grey cubicle walls in the pics below.) and found it to be comfortable, at least on a short ride. Ill have to take it on a longer test ride after work to be sure.

It was much more comfortable riding on the hoods though I did feel a bit stretched out riding in the drops. Im thinking if I rotate the bars clockwise a bit, moving the drops back closer towards me, that might alleviate the stretched out feeling. Any thoughts?

Ill attach some pics of the new setup. Let me know if anything looks out of wack, i.e. cable slack, bar angle, etc.

Thanks again guys!

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts
I'm thinking the bike is too small for you.

·
Larry Lackapants
696 Posts
For height we've got spacers and reasonably sized seat posts.. if the frame length is good, and so is the steering with your current stem, then you don;t need to worry, my 2 cents.
the stack of spacers looks a little bit tall but who knows what will change in time..

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For height we've got spacers and reasonably sized seat posts.. if the frame length is good, and so is the steering with your current stem, then you don;t need to worry, my 2 cents.
the stack of spacers looks a little bit tall but who knows what will change in time..
Sounds about right to me. Im pretty confident the frame is the right size. The fit feels good. Ive put about 5000 miles on it with no pain, numbness, or other kinds of fit issues. I just want to make sure I haven't messed up the cabling or bar angle with this stem flip.

·
Banned
952 Posts
DS1239622 said:
Sounds about right to me. Im pretty confident the frame is the right size. The fit feels good. Ive put about 5000 miles on it with no pain, numbness, or other kinds of fit issues. I just want to make sure I haven't messed up the cabling or bar angle with this stem flip.
So why change the position now? Odd..

·
3,494 Posts
Your cable housing will touch the frame at a slightly different spot now. You should check those oval transparent frame protectors on the head tube to make sure that they are still in the right place. If you are careful they will probably peel off and stick back on again.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks ukbloke, they had some dirt on them and were starting to peel off anyways so I just replaced them and centered them in the proper position. I did end up having to adjust the rear derailleur a touch. Re-adjusted the angle of the bars after work to better suite me. Worked out pretty good. Thanks again for the help guys.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The only sort of test I would have done is to turn the handlebars all the way left and right. No binding of the cable/housing? Will reach fine both ways? Then you'd be all set in my book.

Happy Trails!

·
la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
DS1239622 said:
What makes you think that? Its a 58cm, Im about 6'2". I test rode a 56cm before getting the 58cm. I thought I was just a touch big on the 56cm and a pretty good fit on the 58cm.
I am 5 11" and I ride a 57.5 or a 58 and that was determined with a custom fit session. I feel very comfortable in that size. I think you'd be at least a size or two bigger than me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts